Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What component do I need to reduce 9v to 2.4v?

Hi,
Using kipkays idea I want to make a laser that can run on a 9v power source from a Mindstorms NXT so that I can make a robot that can pop balloons.

How would I convert the 9v input to a 2.4v Output?

Thanks in advance,
John ;)

Gazoo

That circuit was designed for a minimum of 6 volts. It will take up to as much as 30 volts I believe, and still regulate a diode nicely.

Benm

It will need cooling at higher voltages though, as it is a linear power source and will convert the excess voltage into heat. At 9 volts / 200 mA it's probably okay for intermittent use, but you should consider a heatsink for continuous operation.

that sounds too complicated for me... is there a way to convert 3v from 2AA batteries to 2.4v that is simpler

Benm

What's complicated? Just build DDL's circuit, or the driver i posted in this section and make sure to keep the LM317 or transistor cool by applying a little heatsink.

Current sources don't care about input voltage, as long as they have a place to dump the heat.

Oh crap, that sounds hot!

Think I need to fire up my RCX and get some burning to be done.

I will order 3 senkat-GB-diodes...hopefully if all survive I will have the Predador-Bot with three "lights" in a triangle :) :) :)

idiotjohny said:
that sounds too complicated for me... is there a way to convert 3v from 2AA batteries to 2.4v that is simpler
I really suggest building the curcuit in the links members gave to you, but if you want 2.4v from batteries just use rechargables, 2 AA rechargeables will put out 2.4v

You could use 4 AA batteries but you will fly through batteries, 2 CR123's work the best since they can be recharged and take up alot less space thant 4 AA's.

Gazoo

4 AA batteries will really not work well with Daedal's circuit..even 4 E2 lithiums would be questionable, as would 2 CR123's.

As you suggest, 2 RCR123's are a decent choice. Since they are rechargeable, the voltage for 2 RCR123's will be 8.4 volts off of the charger, and quickly drop to a comfortable 7.5 volts, and slowly discharge from there.