Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What can I harvest from a bigscreen TV?

• Thread starter Stephen j gilman
  • Start date
S

Stephen j gilman

My roommate is getting rid of his old projection tv. It's one of the huge monster tv's from the early 90's!

My first question is:
Is their anything cool or fun I could take out? Laser diodes or any cool lenses or a PBS cube? I herd somewhere that projection tv's had lasers and cool optics!

My other question is:
Is their anything harmful in a projection tv that will hurt me when unplugged? I got hit with a capastor before, instantly knocked out and woke up who knows how much later. I was making a coil gun ;b

joeyss

Yea well capacitors can hold voltage for awhile so be CAREFULL. There should be some cool lenses and if you get some out can you post a picture of the TV and the lens for me?

There are some really nice optics, real high quality. There's also a very large fresnel lens if you're into melting stuff with the sun.

S

Stephen j gilman

Sweet! And shure I'll post pictures. But I realy want to get a phr or PBS cube! Other than a ps3 what can I pull one out of?

theres a couple parts inside the glass part of the tv. I took apart my friends old 90s computer monitor a while ago. We cracked the glass then we heard a hissing sound. It was pretty freaky, but then we found out it was sucking air in instead of letting some kind of gas out like we originally thought

theres a couple parts inside the glass part of the tv. I took apart my friends old 90s computer monitor a while ago. We cracked the glass then we heard a hissing sound. It was pretty freaky, but then we found out it was sucking air in instead of letting some kind of gas out like we originally thought

Not a good idea. The phosphors in those monitors have toxic materials in them, it's probably not a good idea to be breaking those open and playing with the stuff in them. Plus the back half of the monitors is leaded glass as well. You can get glass flying everywhere if you "pop" them in the wrong way as well.

What exactly did you find useful in the tube? I can't really think of anything inside a CRT tube that would be useful.

Not a good idea. The phosphors in those monitors have toxic materials in them, it's probably not a good idea to be breaking those open and playing with the stuff in them. Plus the back half of the monitors is leaded glass as well. You can get glass flying everywhere if you "pop" them in the wrong way as well.

What exactly did you find useful in the tube? I can't really think of anything inside a CRT tube that would be useful.

they are quite dangerous. A friend of my father removed the iron tape (dunno its name in english) that goes around the tube, then the tube exploded. he lost 2x1cm of flesh from his chin (luckily, he was centimeters away from the CRT).
I'd never touch one of this :beer:

S

Stephen j gilman

But a projection tv from the 90 won't blow up right? Lol

I have never seen a projection TV lol :O
because of that I said: "IF it have an crt, yes it can blow up."

Is it a projector or a RPTV???

In a RPTV there is one helleva huge Front surface mirror- I used two at my LEM_

n/p hitting it-

some are mylar strecthed tight--- also cool and very lightwieght.( a little flexible--like a funhouse mirror)

-some are glass(FS)

There are three huge heavy lenses- very interesting- the cabinet if solid wood can be re-purposed too.

One warning- there is an oil inside each of the three lens assemblies- looks like mineral oil to me- so take care when opening them up- do it outside- I got the oil all over my workshop floor and myself. I saw no prisms or cubes- there were a few HSs on the PCBs

-some peopls are giving these away just to get someone else to move it out.

The trash collection here will not pick them up unless you break them down into smaller parts. I would never pay for a RPTV.

BTW I hung the plastic FS mirror over my bed.....

I put a note in one corner ' Objects in mirror are bigger than they appear'

hope I have been helpful---- if so, please make a small donation to help keep our great forum up and running----TY peace Hak

I've only dismantled 1 rear projection quite sometime ago, and I thought it had a pbs & dichro. Might vary by model or I could be totally wrong.

^^^ I have the three lens assembly in my garage- will look for dichros etc in morning but dont think i will find any- the big lenses project on the big mirror which reflects on the translucent screen-each one is like a tv tube except it produces one color each.

- dont see where BSCs or dichros would be used --but what do I know-- now in a projector - they are often found and I hear in SOME there is a super BSC that is big and very useful.--- I have come across a few old projectors but no cubes in them(yet)

The mirrors are aspheric assemblies. Great for several projects I have in mind, but I don't have any rear projection TVs to dismantle. Hak, which model of RPTV did you get them from?

I used to work for InFocus some years back, and don't recall any pbs or dichros in the projectors we made. The projectors did have some badass lenses & optics plus a cool Fresnel, and polarized filter plate.