Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What can cause a red to suddenly go dim but still lase?

The red burner I got from IgorT went crazy on me a few days ago. I had it on less then 20 seconds when it went dim. It still acts like a laser but it is less then 5mW now. I tried fully charged batteries with no luck. It was putting out around 250mW before.

It sounds like your LD went LED. Not good news. As Jerry stated, ask Igor and be patient. He will get back to you.

I know it didn't LED. It still acts like a normal laser. The power output just isn't the same though. That's why I'm confused. The driver is the only problem I can think of. I never heard of a driver suddenly reducing it's output though.

red diodes often still produce a coherent beam when they LED, only it's very low powered.

If there is a problem with the Driver and it is one of IgorT's boost driver
you WILL need to speak to him... he is quite secretive about his boost drivers

You can test the Driver by disconnecting the LD and replacing it with a
Dummy Test load and check the current it puts out...

1) if the current is low... the Driver is at fault...
2) if the current is OK... then the LD is at fault

Jerry

Last edited:
red diodes often still produce a coherent beam when they LED, only it's very low powered.
Yes, an LED'ed red will still produce the "dot" only it will look like a low powered <5mW laser might.
Driver problems, generally do not exhibit this behavior. (it's go or no go)
My bet is on the diode, sorry.
:cryyy:

Weird. I didn't think any diodes would produce a small dot 20+ feet away after LEDing. Hopefully I'll hear from him soon. I sent an e-mail to his old address before I noticed he wants us to use the new one.