Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What browser do LPFers use?

What browser do you primarily use at home? (Non-work enviroment)

• Internet explorer.

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Firefox

Votes: 18 48.6%
  • Opera

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Safari

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Google Chrome/Chromium

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Other (Probably mostly webkit-based)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So I know that this topic has been discussed before (see nikkokapo's thread here) but a lot has changed in the world of browsers since June 2008, so I thought I'd re-open the topic with a new thread and a poll!

If you have any comments about the current "browser wars", just want to say what's your preferred browser and why, or just have general things to say about browsers, this is the thread for you!

I'll get it started by saying I use the Chromium (Open source project of Google Chrome) daily development builds for ubuntu (https://launchpad.net/~chromium-daily/+archive/ppa).

I was a firefox guy FOREVER before this, and wouldn't consider using anything else. When Chrome first came out I was intrigued since it uses webkit (IMO a supperior rendering engine to Gecko) and the new V8 JavaScript engine which executes JavaScript as machine code, which in turn has ridiculously fast JavaScript execution. The main thing that kept me from switching was the lack of extensions, since I had gotten so used to firefox extensions like Stylish, Greasemonkey, and AdBlock (always disabled on sites I frequent like LPF). But now all of those have Chrome alternatives and I have to say I'd never look back to firefox after about 4 months of Chrome use, it's just so fast and has such a sleek user interface!

Anyhow...I'd love to hear what my fellow laserists think! :)

Also, if possible I think it would be interesting if Avery had the actual browser stats for LPF? I don't know if such information exists, but I'm sure many people would love to see those numbers!

Last edited:

There is a Thread about this topic already on the Forum somewhere...

Jerry

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I use Firefox, mostly because of the HUGE amount of available addons and enhancements. I have tried IE, FireFox, Chrome, and Opera and haven't found a large difference between them. It's the addons for FireFox that puts it ahead in my view.

There is a Thread about this topic already on the Forum somewhere...
The only one that I found was the one I linked to in the my first post, and like I said it's from almost two years ago; but if you feel this thread should be deleted for duplication then you are free to report it. I just figured it would be better to start a new thread since so much has changed :)

I use Firefox....don't know why on Earth I used to put up with IE.
Personally I'm fine with Firefox, good interface, add-ons. etc. Don't really feel like changing to a new browser.

I'm sure Albert or Niko will chime in soon about Opera LOL :crackup: jks

KiLLrB

FF because IE loads pages WAAAAAYYYYY too slow. So many other reasons....

Well you're got me more intrigued with Chromium now. Like you I'm quite attached to all my extensions & tweaks tho. Some of them are not all that popular so I doubt there will be Chrome alternatives just yet.
You can really notice a difference in speed? Is it just on pages with heavy JavaScript?

I use Chrome. And wow.

Insanely quick, separate processes for each tab to prevent data loss, of course the things that ninja mentioned in his post, add-ons are available now, you can synch your bookmarks via the browser without an add-on, and... well, it's made by google. In my opinion, google is one of the greatest companies to ever enter the tech/web field. :D

I use Firefox from ever since I saw it, simply because I like the interface and it's overall usability.

However, after installing Google Chrome at my friends comp after FF issues, I am thinking of changing, it looks very nice and appears fast enough.

HIMNL9

Firefox ..... more stable and more safe.

And, most of the times, it do what i want, and not what the javascript-addicted page builders want :p :D

There is no option for more than one??

I have different reasons for using different browsers.... I usually have no less than 2 running at the same time.

I own one forum, moderate another and frequent two others including this one, so I often have multiple forums open simultaneously. ;)

LPF is my "home" page on firefox.

[size=+4]opera[/size]
It is by far the fastest browser that I have used...and it has a ton of features/add ons

The only one that I found was the one I linked to in the my first post, and like I said it's from almost two years ago; but if you feel this thread should be deleted for duplication then you are free to report it. I just figured it would be better to start a new thread since so much has changed :)

Nah... "don't get your knickers in a knot"...:D
I was just saying that that I had seen a similar thread on the Forum
previously... I'll see if I can find it...:cool:

[EDIT]
There seems to be only Nikos thread on Browsers... I found what I
vaguely remembered seeing but it was on Operating Systems not
Browsers... My Bad...:yabbem:

Jerry

Last edited: