Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What "beast" is this ?

Blord

Last time an insect was crawling on my desk. My camera was in reach so I took a picture. Can anybody tell me what "beast" this is ?
Thanks ! :thanks:

Click here for full resolution
138_3834-small.jpg

ped

I dont mind creepy crawlies but if I saw that thing mincing up my wall , I' d have a coronary.

I dont mind creepy crawlies but if I saw that thing mincing up my wall , I' d have a coronary.

Haha, I know the feeling. I grew up with them, they give me the willies but it's nothing serious, more of a "eww another! ugh". When my wife and I lived in NJ she was completely unadjusted to them and nearly had a heart attack the first time one crawled out and came at her. She still screams and runs when she sees one. She grew up here in MI where there are none.

They do bite btw, most of the smaller size ones can't penetrate the skin though. The large ones leave painful bites, no worse than the deer/horse flies up here though unless you are allergic to it.

Arayan

I think that it's a "Chrysopa oculata" :)

Last edited:

JLSE

Haha, I know the feeling. I grew up with them, they give me the willies but it's nothing serious, more of a "eww another! ugh". When my wife and I lived in NJ she was completely unadjusted to them and nearly had a heart attack the first time one crawled out and came at her. She still screams and runs when she sees one. She grew up here in MI where there are none.

They do bite btw, most of the smaller size ones can't penetrate the skin though. The large ones leave painful bites, no worse than the deer/horse flies up here though unless you are allergic to it.

When we bought our current house, we saw at least 4+ per week.. Found a most excellent way
to rid them. Put down glue boards in areas like the sink toilet, drains etc in the basement where
water and high moisture is.

Then take your fog machine and blast all the dark corners of the basement. The fog juice
is a desiccant, you may know this by using one in the house followed by a dry throat
and irritated nose ;)

They need water, and when you draw them out, they end up on the glue boards. :eg:

You can also wait for a spider to get stuck on the boards, which they twitch and move
for a few days.. The centipedes like their spidy meals and get stuck trying to catch it.

We see maybe 1 every 2-3 months now, and will be repeating the process this year when
it warms up a bit.

These little buggers live up to 7 years :eek:

Blord

Lucky I don't live on such area. Biggest thing that comes around are little spiders.
I would jumping around if i find scorpions, snakes, centipedes or gecko's in my shoes.

Lase

Lucky I don't live on such area. Biggest thing that comes around are little spiders.
I would jumping around if i find scorpions, snakes, centipedes or gecko's in my shoes.

Creepy crawlies don't bother me UNLESS it's spiders. Every time one of these runs across the floor I'm straight out the nearest door.

726098-funnel-web.jpg

I'm used to having scorpions, snakes, centipedes and gecko's frequent my houses.

Lase

I second that, Lase! You're downunder though... spiders down there'll kill ya!

We have TONS of spiders up here in MI, big ones too. Mostly all brown recluse and wolf spiders. I'm not afraid of them unless I'm in a position to get bitten. They're mostly on the walls and ceilings and I have found that the best way to deal with them is scare them on to the floor with a class 4 laser (and goggles) and step on them. Class 3B and under don't make em flinch, I've tried.

Thanks for the tips, Wannaburn! If I ever move back to Jersey I'll be sure to do that. Back then (last time I lived there was a little over 2 years ago) I didn't have a fog machine, and only had a handful of older (90's and early 2000's) class 3B lasers.

Lase

I second that, Lase! You're downunder though... spiders down there'll kill ya!

Not just the spiders. Most of the snakes/scorpions will to :p

The one pictured is our infamous Funnel Web spider. The worst of the worst. And everywhere I live has had them in abundance. \

Lase

oh lord.... This thread is making me feel all itchy and uneasy with all the pictures.. I have arachnophobia... but even that house centipede is getting to me lol

oh lord.... This thread is making me feel all itchy and uneasy with all the pictures.. I have arachnophobia... but even that house centipede is getting to me lol
Me too. Ever get the feeling that whoever is responsible is for our ecosystem, is using spiders simply as a big giant "Eff you" ?

No?

resizer.aspx

How about now?!

I'm totally cool with all reptiles. Having a snake around my neck to take a picture? No problem. Geckos? They're cute. Iguanas? Total badasses. Bearded Dragon? I'll have two!

Spiders? FLAMETHROWER! Before it lays eggs in somebody's chest cavity!

P.S. If anybody totally lost their minds and souls, and wishes to know where the above picture is from, Mammoth backyard spider devours bird , ofcourse it's from Australia, where even the rocks want you dead.