Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What Are Your Other Hobbies?

Now if anyone else here is like me, they will have something other than lasers that they think about probably a bit more than they should. for me, i have tons of other weird random unrelated hobbies, so here are a few of them:

metal casting: i built my own propane powered blast furnace with my father, and we use it occasionally to met aluminium and cast ingots/whatever we feel like making. really dangerous, really cool.

rubiks cubes and twisty puzzles: i love twisty puzzles, i can solve rubik's cubes fairly fast, under 45 seconds, but i'm more into exotic puzzle types than speed solving. huge collection, cannot list.

Element collecting: i wanted to collect the elements and here is what i have so far: beryllium (toxic little balls in a sealed container), carbon (pyrolytic graphite), magnesium (35mm wide x 115mm long cylinder), aluminum (lots, and lots of aluminum. probably about 30 pounds of it that we've cast into ingots), silicon (a cool, single crystal semiconductor grade chunk), Titanium (1oz. bar), Iron (core of a transformer), cobalt (2 small chunks), Nickel (1oz. bar), copper (1lb. bar), Zinc (big ingot available at rotometals, very nice american company), Gallium (15g, also available from Rotometals), silver (1oz bar), tin (we also cast this metal, you can melt it on your stove. we have about 15 pounds lying around), tungsten (~16mm wide x ~52mm long cylinder, weighs exactly the same as the magnesium cylinder!), Gold (1 gram "bullion"), Lead (huge 5lb ingot of it, when delivered the mailman said "man this thing is heavy for its size" and i was like "yeah, its a block of lead" he thought i was joking, the he realised im just weird)

and ive got plenty of other stupid things i do sometimes, i wont even bother with them. so what are all you guys up to other than playing around with big scary lasers? i look forward to seeing your hobbies!

Last edited:

gozert

I don't really have any other hobbies. I finished my gaming PC about two months ago, but since I don't really have anyone to play games with I rarely play games on it. I've been trying to find other things to do, but my IBD is currently limiting me to what I can do.

Lasers are pretty much the only thing that keep me busy. I like reading about it and building them the most. I do like photography too, but that's only the case when I get to take pictures for a review about a new laser I got.

I've thought about building a drone, but I'm afraid I won't use it often and will end up regretting that I didn't spend the money on a new laser build.

Here's a fairly recent thread with some of our members other hobbies.

lets just all pretend that isn't there... :(

I finished my gaming PC about two months ago, but since I don't really have anyone to play games with I rarely play games on it.

you can add me on steam if you'd like! PM me your steam name and ill send you a friend request thing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say it's really a hobby as I just spent $10 on the program, but it basically tells me daylength, sunrise & sunset times along with how long different shades of twilight last. I've posted a few threads about it but im interested in knowing how long the sun is up and how long night last etc... not really a "hobby" just something I enjoy to do let's say :)

-Alex

GR3EN

Most of my hobbies become jobs which in return makes me hate what was once fun to me. So now all I have left is video games (ps4 and xb1) and fishing.

So now all I have left is video games (ps4 and xb1) and fishing.

I'm a big fan of video games as well! What games do you have? I'm still on 360 but plan on upgrading to the xBox 1 when money allows! Video games are nice as they help you escape reality and enter a "new world" :)

It's always fun to get back to a game after a long day at work!

-Alex

Last edited:

GR3EN

I'm a big fan of video games as well! What games do you have? I'm still on 360 but plan on upgrading to the xBox 1 when money allows! Video games are nice as they help you escape reality and enter a "new world" :)

It's always fun to get back to a game after a long day at work!

-Alex

Usually buy whatever is new that comes out which is a bad habit because most of the time it doesn't grip my attention. I haven't had a game I've poured a lot of time into in a while. Although the new batman game came out today and it happens to be one of my few days off. And who doesn't love batman. So that's the plan today.

Electronics / Audio amps is my main hobby ,

Making Clocks with Numitron tubes / VFD displays , High voltage SSTC stuff , Valve amplifiers , ect

I do like to collect light sources such as SOX lamps , Mercury vapour lamps and LED's / UV / RGB ect

Playing on PS4

IMG_1168[1] by TwirlyWhirly555, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some of you have listed very unique and interesting hobbies. Makes mine seem run of the mill :/ I like growing things. Mainly outdoor flowers and vegetables. Also do photography, fishing, hiking and biking.

diachi

Ham radio and computers/networking!

aVhaoWC.jpg

kdIDFiU.jpg

Apart from lasers: Computer games, Piano, Tennis. And watching cool science videos! :D

GSS

I like all things muscle cars(Buick GS nut) 1970 stage 1 needs trunk and left fender, over the years of being a screw machinist I prop have over 20 bar stock ends from 3 to 5 inch wide round brass and copper and hex laying around everywhere assorted carbide form tools and a 4 inch round by half inch wide 45 deg champhertool of solid carbide this you have to pic up to believe how heavy it is never even used. Also like magnets not store bought ones but from taking apart things. I took an old kenmore microwave an the 2 round magnets in it allmost cut my finger off when playing with them! Do we even know what we have in our junk draws? If you can do a rubex cube in 45 sec isnt that world record stuff WOW.

Last edited:

APEX1

Attending astrophysics lecture's lol, shooting, hunting, gun smith...not yet, wood working. And I wonder why I'm always broke lol