Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

What are technical specs for IR diodes from PHR(wavelenght, current, voltage, power)?

alx

Hi all,

Probably has been answered in the past, but I need some quick answers. I am planning some tests and I would like to know if anyone used IR diodes from PHR and GGW. How powerful are (mw), at what current has been driven (mA), how long it survived, wavelength (808nm?), voltage (1.5-2v?), etc.

Regards,
Alx

daguin

Hi all,

Probably has been answered in the past, but I need some quick answers. I am planning some tests and I would like to know if anyone used IR diodes from PHR and GGW. How powerful are (mw), at what current has been driven (mA), how long it survived, wavelength (808nm?), voltage (1.5-2v?), etc.

Regards,
Alx

Usually, you can find the answer faster than waiting for someone else to answer you. Learn to use the search function. Learn to use the "advanced" search function. It takes some practice.

Also, many of these are virtually ignored. They are low powered. You can get better for less money just buying the diode. Finally, you could do the testing yourself. It is not hard.

Peace,
dave

alx

They are low powered. You can get better for less money just buying the diode. dave

Thanks dave for help. In fact I am interested more about wavelength and don't have a spectrometer around. What wavelength are? Are under 5mw?

regards,
alx

wavelenght is the color of the laser... maybe you are refferring to its power the mW not the nm <-- wavelength

seoguy

No matrixcs, his wording was correct, his reference to a spectrometer confirms that. IR diodes come in many different wavelengths ("colors", if you will), although they are all outside of the regular range of human vision.

I also think I know why he may be asking, as certain IR wavelengths have particular usefulness where lasers are concerned! ;)

alx, the diode you are referencing in the PHR-803T is actually a combination IR & red laser diode. The IR laser is used for CD's, and the red is used for non-HD DVD's. It's pin-out (large pic) can be found in the extensive thread here -

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/meta-topic-pinout-performance-actual-ld-26417.html

I've also attached a copy of the pic for you below. (A Google Image search also turned-up a smaller drawing that can be found at the LSP site, but I don't dare copy/post that here! :rolleyes:)

You may also find this link useful -

Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Compact Disc Players and CDROM Drives
(scroll-down to where it starts talking about Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, and the Toshiba PHR-803T)

But to answer your question, the wavelength on the IR portion of this device is not a 808nm (so unfortunately it cannot be used to pump a YAG or vandate solid-state laser, nor the crystals for a DIY green laser). :cryyy: It is a 780nm, just like for CD drives.

As to the power, that would depend on if it was being used as a burner or not. If it was just a reader, then it would likely be <= 5mw, if it was designed to burn, then it would likely be higher. Ditto for the red/DVD portion.

The drive the PHR-803T came out of, however, was early models of the Toshiba SD-S802A HD DVD ROM Drive, used inside the XBOX 360 HD-DVD Player, so I wouldn't get my hopes up about high IR power!

In fact, you would probably be better-off pulling the IR diode from an old 52X CDRW drive. ;)

However, you might want to check-out the interesting post #2 by The Muffin Man in this thread - :yh:

http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/diode-graveyard-27787.html

Attachments

• PHR-RedIR1.jpg
    PHR-RedIR1.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 38,286
Last edited:

alx

hi seoguy,

you answer completely to my questions.

thank you very much.
alx