Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Were can I find...

So I'm just tinkering around looking at 4 old computers i have sitting around and decide i want to make a laser pointer.

I have a few diodes from dvd burners already but I want to make a driver to protect them.

I tried locally to get the diffrent parts needed on the many tutorials but no one in this town has any of them, and usally i get a funny look when I ask.

So I figured the parts may be found on my old Pc's.

So far I have several resistors and capastors but dont know how to tell what they are rated for but found websites that will help me determine that.

Next I notice everyone says I need this LM 317 chip, I didnt find one with those serials on it but I did find a "LT 428" "MO8PEC" "LT 422" "2sc2625" and one with no labling.

Im wondering if anyone knows if those will work, or how a person could test them and compair to a LM 317.

And lastly where could one find a pot in either a PC or any home appliance.

I did find most of these parts in the power supply section of the PC.

As far as I am aware, there are no LM317 chips in any normal PCs. Trust me, I have looked hard and I haven't found any =p However, pots can be found in any appliance where you adjust volume, speed, etc., for that is what they need to adjust current flow - a pot!

Unfortunately, however, most pots you are going to find in household devices are going to be *very* high resistance pots due to the huge amount of voltage flowing and the tiny amounts of current that most of these devices will need.

As for the the resistors... I assume they are using the band system? Here.

Ok that makes sence, Im sorta new to this stuff. So I need to find a small low powered electronic device, would say an old MP3 player or discman work?

I am using the color band system and found a nifty little calculator, but now having a hard time finding a 10 ohm resistor.

Also one question i do have is in computers there tube looking things like resistors that are black with one band on them usually silver, what are those?

Well, yeah, an old MP3 player or discman would work perfectly, especially because they have a volume control mechanism.

As for the 10 ohm resistor... yeah, most resistors you will find in a computer will be in the kOhms range.

And do they stand up vertically? If so, I think you are talking about electrolytic capacitors.

black barrel with a silver stripe around the diameter of one end with a lead coming out of each end is a diode. 1n4### series may be worth harvesting to make a test load.

Uuh, you can't use 'volume control' pots everytime. For a DVD burner, the pot you want should be around 50 ohms.

black barrel with a silver stripe around the diameter of one end with a lead coming out of each end is a diode. 1n4### series may be worth harvesting to make a test load.

^^^ exactly what I meant.

Also the radio shack here and other stores dont really carry much in regards to these components.

I live in northern Canada, so I will have to order some things off the net I suppose.