Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Well hello there!

I've lurked for the better part of a day here and read plenty of reviews and finally pulled the trigger on my first laser! (Nothing special, it's the 50 mW green laser from ledshoppe, although I considered the DX one as well). I'm an American currently studying abroad in Denmark for the semester, and my interests include graphic design, computer art, filmmaking, and business (My home school is the University of Pennsylvania, if anyone else on this forum goes/went there!). My first post was actually in a banner competition thread, but I look forward to doing some contributing here, as well as learning all of the crazy terminology you guys are using (a link to explain some things, such as divergence and the dangers of IR radiation would be helpful, but I'll check search later).

Hey Dopamine! Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you'll find load of helpful info.

Just to help you out a little:
Divergance: This is to measure how much the diamiter of the laser beam increases over a certin distance. Theres a calculation for it somewhere. but the higher the divergance the bigger the dot will be over a given distance.

Dangers of IR Radeation.
This is associated with Green(532nm wavelength) Lasers. the light isn't created by a diode directly like a red laser. A 808nm diode is used. (the IR which is so dangerous.) then goes through a couple of different crystals to alter the beam to a green laser. The danger is when the cheap green laser pen style do not have a IR filter. the IR light can leak from the unit, this light is usually pretty powerful. 250mW+ to get the desired green output. you cannot see the IR light, so wont know its hitting you if it does. but its still able to cause major damage to an eye. Its a little more complex than this, but you get the general idea. This type of laser is Called DPSS (Diode Pumped Solid State)

I hope that makes sense. maybe a bit long winded.
The search will probably get you better info on IR and stuff..

I hope you enjoy your time here!

Peace,
Ice

Hey welcome to the forum dopamine, IR lasers are like snakes, what you can't see can bite you. Get yourself a good set of googles and have fun. You will find allot of members here that are a wealth of information and are glad to help.
:beer:

Hmm - would I be in danger even if I wasn't planning to shine it in reflective surfaces? I'm mostly planning to just use the laser outdoors or to shine at a wall I guess. Thanks for the warm welcome!

As long as you watch what you are doing, you should be ok. I have only had me 20mW DX true green since last night and am confident of where not to point it. Just be careful.

They are great at night outdoors. I just wish i wasn't in the middle of town. :( To much light.

Jaseth

Welcome to the forum, where in Denmark do are you studying this semester?

Seb

Welcome to the forum, where in Denmark do are you studying this semester?

Seb

Hey - I'm doing a semester abroad at Copenhagen Business School in Copenhagen! Actually the reason I wanted to get a laser was because I was just at Sensation - all the crazy lights and the guys with laser pointers at Sensation made me finally take the leap haha - and I always do research before I take the leap and buy something (even if it's not expensive).

roosl

Hi dopamine, and welcome to an awesome and addictive place to spend too much time ;) !

I appears we share some interests (graphic design, art).

Have fun!

Watch out for IR lasers! What visible light might not reflection off of, could be something IR loves to reflect off of! Always wears goggles to be safe! The risk is too great! Play safely,

and welcome to the forum!

-Tyler

Jaseth

Very cool :) As you can see I live in Denmark - I study Law at Copenhagen Uni. I also know a girl who has come here from the USA for one semester. I was sadly at another party when Sensation was here, but I heard it was great. I go to quite a lot of the CBS parties as well so who knows - we might run into each other ;)

Anyway, it was a good choice to read up on lasers before purchasing one. They are truly beautiful creations but they are also dangerous, expensive and need to be looked after well.
Enjoy your stay both on the forum and in Denmark!

Seb

Haha thanks for the warm welcome - just out of curiousity, are there any laws governing lasers in Denmark that I need to watch out for?

Jaseth

Not that I know of.. I have been buying and using high power lasers with no problems so far - the only trouble I ever had was importing them into Belgium where Customs would steal random stuff from packages.. but that was not because of legal issues.

TBH I have searched about EU, Danish and Belgian laws, looked through maybe 200 pages and have found nothing even suggesting laser restrictions..

The only real risk is that you get to pay Danish tax, which is so much that it could almost seem like a fine itself xD

Seb

Last edited:
Uh oh...I have to pay a tax on something that I buy online? How much is it? I actually haven't ordered anything online for pickup here yet so I had no idea.

Jaseth

Usually you will end up paying 30-40% import tax. Gifts with a low value may get through without being taxed, but over a certain value they will tax it anyway, and often you have to prove that a gift was sent from a close relative.

Denmark is one hell of an expensive country..

Seb

Hmm...that's interesting. I had my father send me two shirts with a pretty high declared value and I didn't get taxed or anything. Must have gotten lucky? Or is it because my dad was just sending me something I'd bought elsewhere?

Also, will I be paying this tax at the post office when I pick up my package or what? I don't have to go to a special place to pay the tax and pick the package up, do I? (Because if it's not accessible by public transport then I'm basically screwed).

Jaseth

Often they will not add tax unless the package is from a company - this means buying from private sellers and having friends and family send gifts and such may be ignored, even with high declared values. Now generally, they do in fact not tax these types of packages, I just want to warn you that they may.
If a package is clearly labeled to be from somewhere like DealExtreme, usually it goes straight into the tax office, but with private stuff I have a feeling they mainly look at boxes. Sometimes packages from companies which are not boxes may go through as well, but it is not as common.
I received a host and heatsink from a member here only about a week ago and there was no tax on that.

If you are unfortunate and have to pay tax on anything sent to you, you will either have to pay at the post office, or to the person who delivers it to your door. Please note that they rarely accept cash on delivery as this would make their job more dangerous, so if you have a bank or credit card it is best.

You don't have to worry about going to some weird warehouse or office to get your things and pay tax.

Seb