Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Weird Laser

Hey everyone,
So my friends wants a laser that:
-Starts with low power and then goes high power.
For example, aim somewhere with low power and the boom! the beam gets brighter.
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Alex

he is going to need to buy a multi mode laser like the GF1 that blord builds. it has 3 modes, high, medium and low

norbyx

yeah but blords starts in high and than you can go to low.... so it's basically the oposite.
Well you could buy a wicked laser. They start on low power and than have a high power mode, also have strobe in high and low, plus a SOS and beacon mode...
I have 2 and like them both very much... (depsite what others think).

djQUAN

Same thing I did to my blue 1.4W laser. but I was able to do it on only one type of boost driver and it was an unforeseen "feature" when I wanted to do a side clicky :D

Diode is driven at around 10-15mA due to driver leakage when forced to standby and pushes 1.5A when running normal full current.

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpg
    IMG_1729.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1730.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 124
There are plenty of drivers that will allow you to switch between low and high modes. WL's smartswitch does the job, but with a bit of fancier stuff.

And norbyx, I like my WL stuff too, I just wish some of them were actually up to spec :D

Last edited:
There are plenty of drivers that will allow you to switch between low and high modes. WL's smartswitch does the job, but with a bit of fancier stuff.

And norbyx, I like my WL stuff too, I just wish some of them were actually up to spec :D

With no disrespect, sir, every time I see your sig, I cringe at the amount of money you must have shilled out to WL for all of those underspec lasers. Your sig is a walking testimonial as to why to never buy a WL.

I guess some folks just like the packaging. I just put multi-mode switches in mine.

SBA, the thing that gets me every time i see it is "NOT EXACTLY A WL FAN, BUT..." and then seeing 14+ WL products and the only non WL products are 2 cheap Chinese lasers; some may argue that there are really.........ill save my thought since i dont want this to turn into another WL debate thread

Last edited:

IsaacT

Out of the 14 WL Lasers he has, it looks like only 4 are underspec....BUT they are the most expensive ones lol. I would be curious to know how much you spent on your WL products sir.

Are there any good ones in WL?

UecOF.jpg

I'm sensing a bit of a language barrier here.

I'm sure any of the custom builders on here would be happy to build you one exactly how you like.

norbyx

I sometimes don't get you guys. WHO CARES if some WL are underspec? Who cares how much they cost? If some of us are happy with them SO BE IT. I have seen plenty of people buying a Rolex, that costs 1000 times more than a seiko, that is less precise tha a seiko, but still there are people that have them, and nobody goes arround feeling sorry for te guy that spent his money on a under average watch.

Last edited:
those people would be pretentious, stuck up, snobs who are trying to impress someone. Look at the people who buy those Rolex's and they fit the previous description well. A SLIM amount of those people really want the Rolex for the look or name because they have more money than god but for the rest of us, its useless.

My view on the matter is, if you like WL and what not then GREAT for you but this doesnt change the view of the rest of us. Why would we suggest an over priced, under spec laser to a new members to get screwed on? We want the new members to be happy with their early purchases in this hobby. If they buy WL and get ripped off, what impression does that give them about this hobby? Well a really bad one and then they leave it. Who knows, that person could have been a genius or produced the next best driver in a few years!

We want new members to buy quality goods at good prices, hence why we recommend jetlaser if they like the look of WL, since JL is quality, on or over spec, cheaper than WL and come in the same host.

Why spend more money than you have to? That money saved can go to another laser! We all know how expensive this hobby is so the more you save, WHILE still getting quality goods, the better :beer:

EDIT: if after reading all the things about WL, they still want to buy them, then good for them. At least we informed them about their decision so they could make an educated purchase.

And to answer your question on who cares......well, i care since it gives the laser hobby a bad name. also anyone who is interested in buying a laser cares since they want quality goods

Last edited: