Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

We are live on new VPS account

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hi all, we are now live on the new VPS account for LPF. Please report and issues with the forum here -- I have done some testing and everything seems OK but please let me know if you have any odd error messages/etc.

Thanks,

-Avery

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
A new hosting account for LPF, I have complete control of the server and it should be a lot faster.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
This server will be awesome for the migration to vBulletin as well

thanks for this, c0ld!!

i just can't believe this awesome forum just gets faster and faster!! :D

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thx Niko

Any updates regarding fast or slow performance , or any errors / strange behavior extremely helpful.

Since this is a new server I want to be positive everything is working properly.

Enjoy the forum,

Regards,

-Avery

Hey Avery.... It seems a bit faster on page refreshes for me... :cool:

Jerry

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey Day, this is due to the DNS changes. The site in maintenance mode is actually the "old" LPF on the other server. It must be because DNS changes are still propagating for you. I would imagine this will stop happening soon for you, please let me know if trouble continues.

I got some speed improvements, hopefully the shift to vbulletin will improve it even more. If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose vBulletin, and any idea on when you'll be switching it over?

Anyone with issues with it being in admin mode should run "ipconfig /flushdns" (Through Start-Run on xp or in Vista simply pasting that into the start box, then right click and run it as administrator)

jwc

charlie bruce said:
If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose vBulletin

vBulletin is backed by a database unlike YaBB, so it is much faster for large forums like this one. As for why c0ldshadow chose vB over some of the freely available ones out there, well, maybe he loves us just that much. :D

I'm glad to be able to feel the love :D - I'm a cheapskate web designer so I don't know too much about the benefits of vBulletin over the free stuff, but I did know about the database side being important.

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hi everyone, I have officially started working on the Vbulletin upgrade on the VPS server=)

So far everything is going well, but there is a lot of testing to do still. Probably going to start out with the default vBulletin template, with the same simple look as http://www.vbulletin.com/forum/

I'm going to need to make a new LPF banner to match the background color #e7e7e7

If anyone wants to volunteer and image that would be cool since I am not very good with graphics.

I honestly don't think we will be able to live on the vbulletin forum for at least a week. It is not impossible it could be sooner than that though.

One of the only frustrating issues will be that all users will need to change their passwords on the new VB system by using the 'forgot password' feature. This is because vBulletin doesn't use the same password hashing method as yabb and it can't reverse the one way hash of a password to determine what the password would be.

Other than that I expect a smooth conversion.

Regards,

-c0ld