Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

wattage and goggles?

Hello everyone. I tried to do some searching but couldnt seem to find an answer.

Does wattage affect what type of goggles i would need?

for example: would a 405nm 15mW and a 405nm 1 to 2 watt require different goggles?

edit: (another question) 405nm doesnt even go as low as 15mW does it? lol

Last edited:

405nm goes as low as 1mW, it's just harder to find as the main source for 405nm diodes is BluRay drives, which require more power than that.

To an extent, the wattage does effect which goggles you should wear; Goggles with a low optical density (OD) rating will not be able to protect you against higher powered lasers.

As far as how much OD is needed for how many mW... I couldn't find any official looking sources. That doesn't mean it isn't out there though, heck, OSHA probably has info on it. The only guidelines I can give you is extra OD is never really TOO MUCH. I'd feel safe with OD2 for <100mW, but nothing more. Quality OD4 goggles can protect from direct beam hits (see Eagle Pair 190-540nm orange tinted goggles from SurvivalLaser), and poor quality OD5s (T-Rex brand, they probably aren't really OD5) will pass enough of the direct beam to see the spot easily.

My OD2 532nm WL goggles will block enough to safely burn with a focused spot if not too close, but will not protect you from specular (reflective surface) reflections or direct hits of 95mW.

My "OD5" T-Rex 600-700nm goggles will protect you while burning even up close with 200mW, and protect you from very diverged specular reflections, but not protect you from direct hits or focused specular reflections.

So, I recommend you get some quality Eagle Pair goggles or if you can afford the very best some OEM Lasers Systems OD7+ goggles.

Thank you sir! that is exactly what i was looking for :)

will the oem laser system goggles prevent damage from a quick direct hit or reflective surfaces from something 1-2W? i just want to make sure whatever goggles i get will save me and my buddies from any accidents that could happen

It should but I won't say it will. Kinda like saying a 3/8" steel plate should protect you from a gunshot to the head... it should, but there are too many variables to say it will.

I will say they are the highest rated and certified goggles I can find anywhere on the market.

I will say they are the highest rated and certified goggles I can find anywhere on the market.
Look better, I have some laservision goggles that can take 100W/mm^2 (or 10kW/cm^2) and they still have even better ones. OEM laser systems just has the usual professional stuff.

At higher powers not only the right OD is important but also if your goggles will melt away before your face or not. That's why I like the EN207 certification, it specifies power densities.

@himhimself - Here's a good, simple, explanation:

Laser safety - Laser Wiki

For our hobbyist purposes, in most cases OD 2 is the absolute bare minimum.

The eagle pair goggles from survival are great.

Also make sure that you're using the properly rated goggles in terms or wavelength... meaning goggles rated for 405nm (purple/violet) will offer absolutely no protection against a red laser (635nm+).

Edit: Can't wait until I have to start worrying about melting away goggles or my face from a handheld!:p

Last edited:
awesome link infinitusequitas!

thank you! :p i ordered a 800mW 445nm over the weekend and even though it is coming with safety goggles i want to get another pair or two atleast