Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WaterProffing and RPL?

Waterproofing and RPL?
Hi I was just wondering if anybody has came up with a case design on how to water proof say an rpl or even an rpl with a beam expander
my guess with a little bit of searching has came up with no as who would really want to test this case vs. a 1500$ laser : )
a few requirements would be AR coded glass or a glass lens that could be replaced easily with an AR coded lens. you would not need a way to turn the laser on or off as I wouldn't be under the water for more then 5 min plus I could always just use a lower power setting but I was thinking maybe a small magnet on top of the push button would work for this but I don’t know how sensitive the lasers are to magnetic fields.
anyway does anybody have any suggestions . links and pictures would be very helpful as I would be willing to buy or build such a project

img0086cqe1.jpg

lol go figure i messed up on the title : )

Last edited:

Waterproofing these types of lasers will be difficult without making it bigger than it already is. There are just too many cracks and crevices that must be sealed.
Then you have the issue: How will you be able to focus the Beam expander if it is encased in a box?
Also, you won't be very mobile with something of that size and weight underwater.
It is impractical... and I wouldn't risk drowning it.

I would suggest you use a cheaper and smaller laser for this mod.
I have made a Galileo waterproofed before.
It can be done, just more easily with certain lasers.

Nice laser, by the way.

Re: Waterproofing and RPL?

Well i guess not really Waterproofing the rpl but an enclosed tube that would fit around it... a mag-light is almost the perfect size except its just a few mm to small for the laser its self to fit. their would be no reason to focus the expander under water it would just be set for non divergent.
I was thinking a waterproof box bot non of these i have seen yet have a lens in them but then again i am not to familiar with the underwater world of cameras
big yes, impractical maybe, but could it be done?

Uh, solution here's a tad radical but i heard a non lubricated condom works fine in waterproofing cellphones. Might work with a RPL, they're after all of similar dimension and shape.

Re: Waterproofing and RPL?

Well i guess not really Waterproofing the rpl but an enclosed tube that would fit around it... a mag-light is almost the perfect size except its just a few mm to small for the laser its self to fit. their would be no reason to focus the expander under water it would just be set for non divergent.
I was thinking a waterproof box bot non of these i have seen yet have a lens in them but then again i am not to familiar with the underwater world of cameras
big yes, impractical maybe, but could it be done?

i guess not. In my experience with waterproofing small lasers, i tried my RPL from Dragon lasers, the thing is, it can't.. by itself, you wil build an outside case, but it will be bigger, then the problem is focusing your beam expander, since you must build a case that is pressure proof and water proof.

All i can say is that you can only make it to smaller lasers or flashlight type lasers.

i did mine succesfully 100meters deep but beyond it will certainly die.

but since im not ready yet to reveal how did i do it, because i need to do more and more testing.

so far, as of now.. all i can say, RPL can be or might be waterproofed, but... there will be LIMITATIONS. BTW, why use an RPL if you are diving? use a small one...

Uh, solution here's a tad radical but i heard a non lubricated condom works fine in waterproofing cellphones. Might work with a RPL, they're after all of similar dimension and shape.
Condom=ballon
Laser pops ballon. Wet laser

that is kind of what I was thinking . lol was looking more into an aluminum or some other outside tube to go around the rpl.... maybe something like what they use for underwater cameras but I wouldn't know what to search as I don't know what all equipment under water needs to see or emit light... I was going to hollow out a mag light but it was too small. would have been perfect though