Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Watch this laser is bad?

On my cnc pantograph, I have a red laser of 300mW. The driver has control ttl. Driver 5V supply, delivers 20mA of standby current without TTL signal. If I use the 3-5V TTL signal, the driver delivers 420mA and the radius becomes blinding and 300mW. With the standby current, you see a thin red line. I usually watch and adjust the fire to see subtle and brilliant. Then put the goggles and launch the process, driven by seganle ttl. I run the risk? There is a safer method for the focus? Thanks

Last edited:

Morgan

I think the language barrier is making your post a little hard to understand but I think that you're asking is it bad to look at the laser dot when running at 300mW. Correct?

The answer is yes! Even reflected laser light, (depending on the material and surface), can be damaging. If you have goggles then you should be able to adjust the burning capabilities very well with them on. It is not only sensible to do this, it is also, 'good practice'. Get into the habit of using goggles with lower powers and you run less risk of becoming complacent.

At 20mW you should still be using goggles to be absolutely safe and using goggles is the safest way to check your focus.

I hope that helps.

M
:)

On my cnc pantograph, I have a red laser of 300mW. The driver has control ttl. Driver 5V supply, delivers 20mA of standby current without TTL signal. If I use the 3-5V TTL signal, the driver delivers 420mA and the radius becomes blinding and 300mW. With the standby current, you see a thin red line. I usually watch and adjust the fire to see subtle and brilliant. Then put the goggles and launch the process, driven by seganle ttl. I run the risk? There is a safer method for the focus? Thanks

Sorry for my English. I made a mistake. I meant 20mA instead of 20mW. A current value under the htreshold.

I was interested to know if it is dangerous, watch the laser beam power below threshold current

Asherz

Sorry for my English. I made a mistake. I meant 20mA instead of 20mW. A current value under the htreshold.

I was interested to know if it is dangerous, watch the laser beam power below threshold current

At 20mA, that's probably the lasing threshold for that diode (DPPS system?) so it would be putting out I would assume well under 5mW, in which case that would be safe too look at without goggles.

How ever if it is above 5mW it is not, because a direct hit at this power is enough to cause damage in the time it takes you too blink.

Because this is a CNC machine, and the surfaces you are cutting are flat I assume and the CNC has a fixed head, I would say you were pretty safe to look at it when it is lasing at 20mA.

Although if you don't feel comfortable and want to eliminate all risk, by all means keep your goggles on. The main risk here is reflections, rather than direct hits so that does reduce the risk considerably unless you are cutting mirror finishes.

HIMNL9

Hi, if i've understood correctly that what you're asking, no, til the dot is very dim (like just over the threshold limit), is not risky to look at it without protective goggles, IF you're not looking at it when it's shining on a reflective surface, ofcourse ..... anyway, it's always better to use safety goggles ..... but, if you're looking at it, as example, on a matte, dark surface, the risk is very limited ..... but still, as suggestion, wear some protections, maybe also just a pair of green sunglasses ..... i know, i'm a bit paranoid, maybe, but, always safety first (and also, focusing a beam is much more easy if you can see it through a dark lens that reduce the halo and scattering from the surface where you're focusing it ;))

Ciao, se ho capito bene cosa stai chiedendo, no, finche' il punto e' molto attenuato (tipo, subito dopo il livello di threshold), non e' rischioso guardarlo senza occhiali protettivi, SE non lo stai guardando su una superfice riflettente, naturalmente ..... comunque, e' sempre meglio usare occhiali protettivi ..... ma se stai guardaldolo, per esempio, su una superficie opaca e scura, il rischio e' molto limitato ..... in ogni caso, come suggerimento, indossa sempre qualche protezione, magari solo occhiali da sole con le lenti verde scuro .... magari sono paranoico, ma penso sempre che la sicurezza sia la cosa piu mportante (e comunque, e' molto piu facile focalizzare meglio il punto se lo guardi attraverso una lente scura che riduca al massimo l'alone e la dispersione dalla superficie su cui lo stai mettendo a fuoco ;))

Yes you read right. Since a red laser, with 300mW diode LOC, it is difficult to watch with my goggles OD4, to focus i supply it with a few mA. The diode emits a light stroke of 4mm with a dot in the center. I assume that I have not exceeded the current threshold. I simply focus on this indent balsa wood. Then launch the CNC and the machine sends the signal to TTL laser. The laser is:
LOC diode LPC815
FlexMod2 driver.
If I use goggles OD4 do not see the beam when i supply it with a few mA. What can I use? Some tricks?
Try sunglasses.

--------------

Si avete capito bene. Siccome un laser rosso, con diodo LOC 300mW, è difficile da guardare con i miei occhiali protettivi OD4, per focalizzarlo lo alimento con pochissimi mA. Il diodo emette un tratto luminoso di 4mm con al centro un puntino. Presumo che non ho superato la corrente di threshold. Io mi limito a mettere a fuoco questo trattino sul legno di balsa. Poi lancio la lavorazione CNC e la macchina manda il segnale TTL al laser. Il laser è:
un diodo LOC LPC815
driver FlexMod2.
Se io uso gli occhiali protettivi OD4 non lo vedo il raggio quando lo alimento a pochi mA. Cosa posso usare? Qualche trucco?
Proverò gli occhiali da sole.