Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WARNING: To those with Nvidia GPU’s

Was it an old licence key you lost or something? If you can't get a replacement (or a 365 activation through work :p) then there are some passable free alternatives - LibreOffice has always worked fine, although may take some getting used to.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I just paid £12.80 on eBay for the 2013 Pro office I had originally. Not bad, this computer failure has only cost me the price of a USB and that package, as I've fixed the problem myself. So can't complain too much on the financial side. But I have now got to reinstall all my programs.

May i suggest Ninite.com as a fast way of reinstalling everything* without bloaty installers etc.

*most common free programmes

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Immo, never heard of ninite. I've got my adobe programs back etc, the other ones I will install when I need them. Also is a good way of decluttering and seeing what you actually use the most.

Thanks for warning.Anyway It will never affect my PC because It dead xD.But I'm not tested the latest driver on linux (The nvidia x server windows).

I saw this thread and had to remind myself this wasn't a Mac Issue. :)

Just a quick note from the other side of the fence (MacOS) that may (or may not) be helpful. So take it as such - trying to help.

Check your power supply.

Nvdia Cards are much more difficult to use on the Mac and we run into problems much more often. Everytime a Mac OS update or a Security update comes out, it requires new drivers and there is potential for a major problem.

Most of the problems with these cards on this side of the fence are either with improper driver installs or power supply not being able to handle the cards (or power supply failing - ocassionally). I know its not the same, but never hurts to check.

Background:
I'm running a GTX1080 on my mac pro and a 970 on my older one I gave my wife. They are both flashed cards and stable. I've had a couple issues on upgrades and a fair amount of rebuilding efforts on mac side. Currently running custom modded MacPro 12 core 3.46 hyperthreaded Xeon, 1TB m.2 >3000MBs RAID 0 Amfeltec squid, etc...

I had heard about the Apple will drop the support for the Nvidia GPU and use the ATI (AMD) instead.and they are developing hey own cpu to replace Intel x86.

I had heard about the Apple will drop the support for the Nvidia GPU and use the ATI (AMD) instead.and they are developing hey own cpu to replace Intel x86.

Apple hasn't used Nvidia GPUs in years. Only a 3rd party option. :( all the new stuff is ATI. Even the "New" MacPro is Dual D700s. (2013). They each have their place, too bad Apple doesn't think so.

I think the last official Nvidia card supported was the GTX 680. - Been a bit.