Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

WARNING: To those with Nvidia GPU’s

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Immo! Yes, I think I’m going to leave GeForce alone. Only had it as it come with the laptop. I sure hope the problem is fixable.

Gadget

Just make sure you back up everything beforehand just in case.

That right there...that's sage advice. I, without fail, ghost my drive to an external before changing ANY system files! Been bitten in the ass too many times to fall for that one any more.

Thanks for the heads up, Curtis.

-G

Nexgen

I had issues with new drivers as well. With RTX 2070 after playing heavy games, pops up message: “Rendering device has been lost” and game freezes. Reliable voltage limit hits and power limit goes 102%. Had to rollback to 417.35 version.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
I had issues with new drivers as well. With RTX 2070 after playing heavy games, pops up message: “Rendering device has been lost” and game freezes. Reliable voltage limit hits and power limit goes 102%. Had to rollback to 417.35 version.
Oh, that doesn’t sound good either. Is it working properly under 417.35?
Anyway,
I tried fixing my laptop today. Got a usb and formatted it. But only had a Mac available to put windows on the drive. Didn’t work. No bootable media. So I went to my local library to use another pc, but they wouldn’t allow exe files. So I’ve got to wait to use someone else’s pc now just to get a bootable copy of windows. Not fun.

Nexgen

Oh, that doesn’t sound good either. Is it working properly under 417.35?
Anyway,
I tried fixing my laptop today. Got a usb and formatted it. But only had a Mac available to put windows on the drive. Didn’t work. No bootable media. So I went to my local library to use another pc, but they wouldn’t allow exe files. So I’ve got to wait to use someone else’s pc now just to get a bootable copy of windows. Not fun.
I have no issues with 417.35 at all.
Wish you luck getting this thing faster. I always have a bootable Windows 10 CD and USB flash. These come handy dealing with new PC’s or just to reinstall OS.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Nexgen. Unfortunately I only have a few manufacturers drivers on a cd. No usb or cd with the os on it. And no cd drive. But at least when I make one myself (usb), it will be there if I ever need it.

diachi

Next time, you should try if you can boot in safe mode with networking and uninstall the graphics driver with DDU.

Seconded! (y)

Always troubleshoot in safe-mode if you're having BSOD issues. Loads the OS without any software/drivers that aren't part of the OS. Just tap F8 as windows boots to get to the prompt for that.

You may run into issues with the F8 not registering on Windows 10 with an SSD. I've had it where Windows 10 boots to quickly with an SSD and won't register you pressing F8 meaning you can't get into safe mode without booting into Windows 10 then telling it to reboot into safe mode.

Also, unless you're using Bitlocker or some other sort of disk encryption you should be able to boot a live Linux OS (Something like Ubuntu, I use Hiren's as it has some other handy tools) and copy your files off to an external drive that way, regardless of what state the Windows install is in. Then you can format the disk and do a fresh install of Windows. :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes, I had that problem Adam. Couldn’t get into safe mode at all. I could get to the windows re, and to the bios. But that was it.
I hoping to borrow my nans laptop to format a usb with win 10, and to end this sorry mess.
Thanks for your suggestions, I got what I really needed of the drives. The only thing I’m nervous about losing is my office package. I copied the folders, but I’m hoping I didn’t leave anything behind.

„Funny“ to read this here, as I am right in the middle of formatting my SSD to install Win 10 fresh again. Something I had to do twice last year.

It started with „why is Calculator not loading?“ went over „Store apps missing“ and every try to correct something just made it worse. Microsofts „solution“ is „do a clean start and create a new profile“ which is essentially „loose all your apps and possibly everything within the profile“. Just tofind out, that the problems did not go away with it.

So I iron the drive and start anew — like usual. I don‘t trust my backup, as the problems usually start unnoticed, until you have backed them up too.

And I have a Radeon GPU... So maybe it‘s just M$ messing it up again, stumbling over their own feet and introducing incompatible „enhancements“, even to themselves.

:mad:

I swear, I haven‘t changed anything. A sentence I usually hear from MY customers, when they call for help...

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
„Funny“ to read this here, as I am right in the middle of formatting my SSD to install Win 10 fresh again. Something I had to do twice last year.

It started with „why is Calculator not loading?“ went over „Store apps missing“ and every try to correct something just made it worse. Microsofts „solution“ is „do a clean start and create a new profile“ which is essentially „loose all your apps and possibly everything within the profile“. Just tofind out, that the problems did not go away with it.

So I iron the drive and start anew — like usual. I don‘t trust my backup, as the problems usually start unnoticed, until you have backed them up too.

And I have a Radeon GPU... So maybe it‘s just M$ messing it up again, stumbling over their own feet and introducing incompatible „enhancements“, even to themselves.

:mad:

I swear, I haven‘t changed anything. A sentence I usually hear from MY customers, when the call for help...
Yes, this is why I’m going to do a fresh install too. Yes, it means having to put everything back, but I’m not chancing the problem still existing and ready to pounce again. Once I know the fresh install is ok. I’ll back that up.

I hope you’re computer gets fixed too. 👍🏻

Bacon

👀
I like to use a program called "Double Driver" to quickly make backups of all my drivers, and it makes it easy to back & restore exactly what drivers you want.

veeam also makes nice free software to backup volumes / folders to other attached disks / network shares. Might not be ideal for laptops though. I have it running on my desktop to make weekly backups to another drive with a 4 week retention. It beats manually cloaning drives offline.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
It’s alright, I have a new Seagate hard drive with toolkit on it. That does the same thing for the hard drives. But I’ll look into the double driver program. Thanks. :)

Yes, this is why I’m going to do a fresh install too.
Once I convince myself to do that, I consider that as a chance to get rid of old habits and old trash that might have piled up in the months 😣 after I did it the last time.

Right after I got rid of all the bloatware, adware and spyware that M$ forces on me on every fresh install, this time I will install only the absolute bare minimum of necessary things to get my stuff done.

Which mainly consists in just a good Browser and E-Mail client, an Office suite, Corel Draw Suite, a couple of Adobe products, Audio Workstation and filters, notation programs and essential emulators, development tools for a handfull of programming languages, Web Server, PHP, just a few virtual machine emulators, accounting software, CAD workstation, remote desktops, the essential drivers for scanner, tablet, graphic, ASIO, MIDI, camera, ...

.. and finally "Gothic 2 and 3" which follows me for a couple of years now on every PC and which I much prefer over "Candy-Crush Saga". While it is a bit dusted now in terms of graphics, it is still the best and immersive story I have seen till today.

You see, nothing else than 90% of the average PC user has on an average home PC. I really can't imagine why this damned windows can't keep running longer than a few months in a row. 😢

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Update: Well, I have reinstalled Win 10 and am back on using the laptop. Hopefully I will get no further problems. Lost my Office package though because of this.