Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanting Advice Rebuilding a C-Mount Lab Laser

I recently came into possession of a lab laser that had been torn down in an effort to improve the beam specs. This is a LSR635NL-150mW from Lasever.com. She runs from a 5V power supply providing analog modulation.

I'm looking at restoring her, since I seem to have all the components to make her work, except the C-Mount diode.

IMG_4533_zps299ffc61.jpg

The PO (previous owner) cut the wires and removed the diode heatsink from the rear of the housing. Although restored in the picture.

IMG_4531_zps7260e6e6.jpg

This laser was to be used in a RGB projector project. I bought the unfinished projector, and inherited this laser along with it. No disrespect to the PO, but he was frustrated at the time, and tore into this hoping to figure out how to make it better. In the process, he ruined the diode. C-Mount diodes look like this:

Startseite_2_k_01_0c892103e5_zps8561ef70.jpg
R6655189-01_zps4d3230cb.jpg

and my research suggests they are *expletive* delicate. Breathing on them can even ruin them.

The PO tells me once ruined, he removed the diode and I won't find it under the rear heat-sink TEC assembly

IMG_4529_zps1b570e6e.jpg

So, I've begun my journey and began researching what it will take (and cost) to restore her. Sadly, even if I get her working as before, I think I am still faced with crummy beam specs and I'll have to take measures to correct those, if and when I get her working. There seems to be plenty of room in there for optics. She is 10cm (4 inches) long, and without knowing anything about the focal lengths needed, I'm hoping all the optics could fit within. I'm waiting to here back from Lasever if a new unit comes with a FAC (fast axis collimator) which I hear, helps a great deal when improving the beam specs.

I can find these diodes (in the 500mW version) on eBay for a whopping $285 USD, ouch.
Brand New 635nm 500mW C Mount Red Laser Diode | eBay

I can order a NEW complete laser with PSU from Lasever for $250USD, before shipping.

I'm at a crossroad. Do I buy a new one, or keep looking for a diode to restore this one? I may eventually do both. I'll keep looking for a diode, but my google searches are coming up short of results that lead me to something economical.

Google Search: C-Mount 635 FAC Diode

Considering the delicacy of the diode, I think I should buy two diodes. One to use and one to lose.

Last edited:

The cmount 635/638 have a much larger emitter (poorer beam) and are much more pricey than the mitsubishi TO-56 type. Put an IR diode in there (if you have a use for such a thing) or scrap it.