Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted: Green laser module/diode WITHOUT an attach

Hello all,

I am working on a modified version of Rog8811’s 7 color laser, and I am in desperate need of a green (preferably 532nm) laser diode. The best item would be a closed-can 532nm diode, something that can fit in an Aixiz module, but I have never been able to find a single green laser diode... The next best would be a green diode already fitted in any sort of focusing module. But for this build, the diode or module CANNOT BE ALREADY ATTACHED TO A DRIVER. I need to attach it to my own power source for this project to work, so I need the diodes positive and negative leads to be exposed to I can attach it to a driver myself!

If anyone can give me a link, contact me by email (pianoman2011@yahoo.com), contact me by phone (1-301-393-2836), private message me here on laser forums, or reply to this post, I would love to buy a green diode.

Thank you!

-Jakob

daguin

Re: Wanted: Green laser module/diode WITHOUT an at

What you are asking for does not yet exist. There are no available green diodes yet.  You will have to work with a DPSS module.  You can get one and then remove the driver if you want.  That would be the least expensive way to go.  It might be better to work with the driver already attached and vary the input voltage/

How many mW are you looking for?

Peace,
dave

daguin said:
What you are asking for does not yet exist.   There are no available green diodes yet.  You will have to work with a DPSS module.  You can get one and then remove the driver if you want.  That would be the least expensive way to go.  It might be better to work with the driver already attached and vary the input voltage/

Peace,
dave

Ahhh that’s unfortunately what I thought. Someone needs to invent a green laser diode! Well, I am looking for around 50-100mW, max price $50. I found one 50mW module for $28 (+4 for shipping):

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=882

But it looks like there is a very firm bonding solution that is attaching the driver to the module, and to be honest I am broke and good and breaking other things. So I don’t want to waste my money on something that I will just destroy. Is there a green laser module that you know is easy to remove the driver from, so I don’t blow away up to 50 bucks? Or maybe someone who could do the job for me (that I would pay of course)? Thanks very much for the help.

And would I have to adjust mA to change the intensity (like normal), or are green lasers different and I have to build a driver that adjusts the voltage? `Cause removing the driver would be necessary since I need to use a POT to adjust the intensity of the laser, and it would need to be assembled on my control panel like the picture below. Thanks much!

-Jakob

Attachments

• Laser_Ctrl_Panel.JPG
    Laser_Ctrl_Panel.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 92

Benm

Removing the driver isn't usually that hard to do. With the modules you find in pointers such as these - http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1371 - the driver board is fitted with some epoxy-like material. This can, however, be removed if you're handy, after which you can just solder the board off.

It's most conventient if you can reach and unsolder the diode leads first though, since you can then use brute force to remove the circuit board without the risk of tearing the diode leads off.

Even if they are still soldered on, its more likely you'll break the lead-to-board solder joints than the actual diode if you snap the board off, but thats a risk.

One thing though: Green output is by no means linear with diode current, as the IR->green doubling process is a nonlinear one.

pianoman2011 said:
[quote author=daguin link=1234492449/0#1 date=1234493394]What you are asking for does not yet exist. There are no available green diodes yet. You will have to work with a DPSS module. You can get one and then remove the driver if you want. That would be the least expensive way to go. It might be better to work with the driver already attached and vary the input voltage/

Peace,
dave

Ahhh that’s unfortunately what I thought. Someone needs to invent a green laser diode! Well, I am looking for around 50-100mW, max price $50. I found one 50mW module for $28 (+4 for shipping):

http://www.o-like.com/b2b_cpinfo.asp?id=882

But it looks like there is a very firm bonding solution that is attaching the driver to the module, and to be honest I am broke and good and breaking other things. So I don’t want to waste my money on something that I will just destroy. Is there a green laser module that you know is easy to remove the driver from, so I don’t blow away up to 50 bucks? Or maybe someone who could do the job for me (that I would pay of course)? Thanks very much for the help.

And would I have to adjust mA to change the intensity (like normal), or are green lasers different and I have to build a driver that adjusts the voltage? `Cause removing the driver would be necessary since I need to use a POT to adjust the intensity of the laser, and it would need to be assembled on my control panel like the picture below. Thanks much!

-Jakob
[/quote]

Looks a lot like mine.

--hydro15

You don't even have to remove the driver. The o-like works fine on PWM as does the rkcstr driver (but I would recommend removing the input cap). I have yet to come across a driver that does not work with PWM, although some require painfully low frequencies.

I haven't tried it but I also suspect you can simply wire the output of any current-limiting driver to the input of the o-like driver. If the current is being limited below what the driver requires, it will probably just do what it can and make do with less current.

Benm

I guess you would need the speed if you want to use it in a scanner - PWM would have to be either really fast, or you should resort to linear regulation to avoid dotted/broken lines.