Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Wanted: Cubed beam splitter

anyone got some cubed beam splitters for 650nm they want to sell.

5-6mm smallest and 10mm biggests.

thanks

Aseras

Raid a dvd/cd drive. there's usually one in there that'll work with red.

Yeah I pulled three out of a DVD burner. Very fun to play around with.

andy_con said:
[quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1185362909/0#1 date=1185386304]What do you want to use it for?

erm...

combining two reds?[/quote]

Had a feeling. If you want to combine, it has to be a polarizing beamsplitter. Take it from someone who found out the hard way!  ::)

surplusshed.com has a few but none meet your specs. Perhaps check around eBay, otherwise you'll be paying an arm and a leg to get these new from a real optics joint.

Yeah i have noticed they are about £100 each. theres lots on ebay but not polorized ones

pseudonomen137 said:
[quote author=andy_con link=1185362909/0#4 date=1185398927][quote author=pseudonomen137 link=1185362909/0#1 date=1185386304]What do you want to use it for?

erm...

combining two reds?[/quote]

Had a feeling. If you want to combine, it has to be a polarizing beamsplitter. Take it from someone who found out the hard way!  ::)

surplusshed.com has a few but none meet your specs. Perhaps check around eBay, otherwise you'll be paying an arm and a leg to get these new from a real optics joint.[/quote]

I took the rangefinder unit out of a Zorki camera (1$ from ebay...+postage) to combine my red and green to get yellow....it has the advantage of having, after a simple mod, a micro adjustment to bring the beams together.

Regards rog8811

@ Daedal, I would if I could, it seems I cannot post pictures......... Too new to the forum maybe?

Regards rog8811

Yeah you have to wait till you have 20 post to post pictures and links, it's a spam prevention thing that has prevented all spam.

@ andy_com I cannot think that it would make a difference doing red/red....but that may be a bit simplistic, for all I know the cube may not be that efficient with any colour but it works for what I am doing. The best part about it is is the ease of lining up the beams....and it was cheap! :)

Regards rog8811

Hi Rog, I think Andy wants a polarised splitter / combiner to effectively combine 2 beams of the same wavelength with minimal losses. A dichroic filter will combine 2 different wavelengths effeciently by reflecting one colour while allowing transmission of another if the lasers are directed at it at a 90 degree angle , with the dichro positioned at a 45degree angle to both.

Here is a schematic to explain what I mean

Jase.

Attachments

• th_Dichroschematic.jpg
    th_Dichroschematic.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 144
Hi Jase, I can see why you say it is a nightmare to set up a dichro, lots of odd angles there.
All I can say is that I mentioned the range finder assembly as it is cube made from 2 prisms, back to back but it has the advantage of another prism mounted off to the side on an adjustable pivot, at the price they can be harvested for they must be worth a try for some applications.

Having said all that I am new to this and there are probably losses that to me are unimportant but to people doing more technical things are disasterous.

Regards rog8811
*photo posting getting nearer all the time :)*