Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want to Buy 200-250 Green DIY Help Please?

biddar

Could Someone help me locate a good DIY or would purchase a preBuilt one

Confused.. is this a question or a statement. You aren't sure if you want something?

Go look at rayfoss or O-like.

biddar

Confused.. is this a question or a statement. You aren't sure if you want something?

Go look at rayfoss or O-like.

what im saying is. i am looking for a 200-250 mW greenie kit but if i cant find a good one which someone PMEd me a good one, i would take an already built greenie at a resonalble price

HIMNL9

Green kits requires modules, and as far as i know, 250mW modules costs a lot ..... usually, the "200mW" modules that you find cheaps from some chinese seller, are a lot underspecs too ..... same for the cheap "200mW" lasers ..... so, basically it depend from how much you want to pay (or said in another way, what is your budget for the laser ?)

As example ..... for the modules alone, o-like is a good source ..... i buyed some times ago from them a 200mW green module, for a matched set that i'm planning, one of the ones that they state "170/200mW", and for a hit of luck i got an unit that start from 175mw, and in few seconds rise to 206mW, and this costed me around 150$ (and keep in mind that these are unfiltered modules, if you want a filtered high power module, from 250 mW and more, be ready to spend at least 250 or 300 $ for only the module)

Then you need a host, and a "heatsink" that match the host ..... for similar powers, you need at least to get a host that hold 18650 battery, otherwise your autonomy is just a pair of minutes ..... the "heatsink" is just a piece of machine worked aluminium, that hold the module in the center, and adapt the diameter of it to the space that you have in the host, exchanging heat from the module to the ambient (a green module become hot very quickly, cause for give you 200mW of green, the IR diode must pump around 1W in the crystal) ..... and, ofcourse, if you want that your laser have a decently long life, you must use it inside the given duty cycle (that is the maximum time that you can keep it turned on, toward the time that you must left it off for cool it)

Some of the users here can build you a kit, or a complete unit ..... but, depending from where you live, can be very difficult, if not impossible, to ship around complete units through borderlines ..... USA as example, don't permit selling of lasers more than 5mW, here in Italy the limit is 2mW, it change from country to country ..... the better way, may be ask some of the trusted builders here in PM (i can't build anything in this perid, due to personal problems, but just search in the B/S/T section for the ones that sell custom lasers and heatsinks), and have the laser sent in 2 different packages, one with the module mounted in the heatsink, and the other with the rest of the material, so none can say anything, and you just have to reassemble the two parts when you get them.

Who is building 250mW greenies? and italys limit is 2mW, man i would literally cry, i used to complain bitterly about usa's 5mW limit.

HIMNL9

Who is building 250mW greenies? and italys limit is 2mW, man i would literally cry, i used to complain bitterly about usa's 5mW limit.

Not true 250mW (but i guess that they can be built easily with the modules that o-like was selling, also if actually they are rebuilding their site and don't have them on it) ..... the only problem is the price, imho ..... 250/300$ for the module only, is not cheap, also if the module is a professional unit, IR filtered.

A 200mW can be built with one of the old style 12mm modules, also if they are not filtered ..... mine actually start at 175mW, in few seconds peak around 220mW, then slowly go down til 202 / 203mW (non IR filtered) ..... if i left it stabilize, then put an IR filter in front, it go from 202 to 197 mW ..... BTW, this seem a low IR amount, but opposite to other modules, this one uses a 9mm diode, so maybe it's a FAC unit with a better beam profile and a better crystal ..... but i had no heart to open it, not with the price it costed me ..... (not yet, at least :eg: ..... i'm tempted to disconnect the diode, measure the current, and try to see til where i can push it, if i find somewhere the diode type and the related datasheet ..... :evil: :eek:)

So, at least a "true" 200mW of green can be built at hobby level without too much difficult ..... as i said, actually i cannot build them, for personal problems, but anyone of the users here, that work with custom made hosts and heatsinks (just as example, Flaminpyro, or IgorT, or Dave, and so on), can build them, i suppose ..... it's just matter of budget, cause good modules are not cheap, and a custom host requires a lot of work and time.

And for the limit, yeah, our law say "only under class 3" pointers can be sold freely ..... a class 2 unit is usually 1 to 2mW ..... and here, for not have all confiscated, sellers stays all on 1mW keychains pointers (officially, at least :p)

Oh, BTW ..... for give you an idea about how things goes here ..... last sunday, police and other similars strange peoples :p made a "clowns show" in TV, stating that they had "confiscated over 3000 lasers before the entrance of the supporters in the stadium, for the soccer derby", trying to give the impresion that they was acting against the ones that uses the green lasers for disturb the players, and beating the usual dead horse about this :p ..... pity only that they also showed to the cameras all the "dangerous lasers" that they confiscated, showing in this way that all the service was pure bulls*it ..... while they was talking "look how we're good at our work preventing crime", and explaining how they saved the derby from idiots that shine 100mW greenies in face of the players, they was showing a table with a bunch of "1 mW red keychains lasers" and "ball pens with white leds and less than 1mW red lasers", all still wrapped in their packages, showing clearly to anyone that these lasers was not coming from users that was carrying them in the stadium, but just from street sellers and shops around the stadium zone ..... and most of these lasers had clearly the CE label on the packages, showing also that they was perfectly legals :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Now, i really want to say them ..... ok, you want to incense yourself showing to all how you're working good ? ..... at least, first, check what you're doing, for not made bulls*it figures ..... or i'm wrong, thinking this ? ..... :wtf: :crackup:

ATEspo

I too have been looking into building/buing a 200+ greenie, but honestly it will cost a lot more than I wanted to spend. So there are a few options as I see it:
-Buy an already built 200mW laser from o-like or RayFoss
-Buy a 200mW+ module (more $ than an already build 200mW)
-Suck it up and buy a 100mW module and build my own
-Save a few more bucks and grab a Hercules(sp) which will overpower all the above!

I think I am going to go the route of just buying one from RayFoss (200mW focusable) for right around $125-$150.

Let us know what route you take.

Wow thats crazy man, i couldnt imagine why they would care so much about lasers, over here in usa you almost never here of lasers at all on the news, ive had friends that had theres taken by police, but they diserved it for doing stupid things, most arenas and stadiums say no lasers but never check anyway. the only thing over here is airplanes, thats like 3 yrs jail even on accident, which is kinda stupid if you think about it, even with the BEST divergence ever acheavable you would not be able to hurt the pilots 30,000 feet in the air.
and the green sounds like a good rainy day project, just collect everything here and there.