Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Want a pair of 532nm glasses!

Hello, this is a total "noob" speaking.

Unfortunately, I have gotten the laser pointer disease, and I have bought my first 50mw chrome green laser pointer from o-like (review in a couple of days).

Fortunately, I understand I need glasses before I start working with it.

Question:

Focalprice has 532nm glasses for about 5 dollars, however I do not think I will be able to withstand the urge to play with the laser for two weeks, since it is already in my hands.

I was wondering if somebody had done some sort of group-buy, and has any left over, or maybe has some glasses they would want to sell me in the 5-15 dollar range.

I am sorry, I understand I must spend more for "quality" but I am looking for bare-bones protection right now.

Fenzir

What application are you using the laser for that you need glasses for a 50mw green? You do understand that by wearing glasses to protect from green wavelengths... that the dot of the laser will hardly be visible, none the less the beam of it.

I would like to take pictures of the beam reflected of reflective surfaces ;) , and i definitely don't want anything to bounce back. Besides, I might also want to make a spirograph, or experiment with mirrors... plans plans plans...

ARG

You could buy from OEM Laser system, they ship from the US so you could get the goggles fast. Their goggles cost a lot, but the quality of the goggles makes up for it, you really shouldn't rely on those cheap goggles.

Fenzir

Hey, experiments are always fun! Just if you're playing with mirrors be sure not to get the beam of the laser back INTO the laser, sometimes, that will kill it x.x

If you want to take pictures of the beam, try putting some glycerin (used in cake icing as a sweetner) into a spoon and putting it ontop of a candle. a few drips will saturate an entire room! Makes the beam of a 5mw look like a 100mw.

If you want to make a Spirograph, if you disect a CD player and get a switch to be an on/off and put a CD into the CD player (I broke the top off mine so it would have a wider angle), get a snake of stick tack and tack a mirror onto the CD, it will spin at a nice rate, that's how I got this picutre
0809112001.jpg

(it's comparing 650/660nm (left) to 635nm (right))

Back to the original question, I heard Dragonlasers glasses were nice, but are $25 or so
Laser Glasses - UV to Green Lasers Protection 190-548nm :: Laser Safety :: Dragon Lasers

They will also protect against 405nm, 473nm, 488nm and 445nm lasers. The OD is what we're looking at, the higher the better!

But, if you want some NICE HIGH QUALITY glasses from a US seller, I suggest the Eagle Pair from Survival Laser
Eagle Pair® 190-540nm Standard Laser Safety Goggles

I have a pair and it lets in 0mw from a 1.2w 445nm laser, 0mw from a 120nm 532 laser.

BUT BE CAUTIOUS! These glasses will NOT protect against red wavelengths or Infared wavelengths! You will have to buy seperate glasses for those.

Good luck in your search and have fun lasing! I'm happy you are taking precautions and looking for a nice pair of glasses early on!

Hi Everyone! I want to thank everybody for their awesome replies, however I have decided to order 2 pairs of the focal price glasses, and another pair of IR glasses, and I plan on assembling them into one monster of an eye protector. I'll test it and if it doesn't work, I'll go with the dragonlasers pair (thank you fenzir!).

On a more metaphysical note, how did god, being god and everything, not anticipate lasers? A pair of backup eyes in the back of the head would simply be splendid (unfortunately, another place to shave if you ruin your original pair of eyes).

Fenzir

umm...
uh........
*sigh*
Good luck! :can:

Are you just going to wear 3 pairs of glasses at once?

^hehe, lol, of course not!, probably use some sort of adhesive around the edges to stick everything together...

yah I have a pair of the o-like 532nm. you should of just purchased it with your laser, they arent bad for just 50mw laser, just dont purposely shoot the laser at urself (I did on accident ..my eyes are fine)

Good that you're taking eye safety seriously. If you need them sooner and don't mind paying slightly more, any of these goggles will do the same job as the focalprice ones.

You will, however, soon see what a pain it is to see anything with those goggles, green or not.

Epic fail on my part for not using the obvious source for buying stuff (amazon), thank you Bionic Badger, I will probably order one of the pairs that are listed there...meanwhile my 50mw chrome greenie (that is creating all this glasses buzz) jumps to tem01 ( I see two green dots when shining at a distant object, that is a tem01 beam, right?) after 0.5 seconds :( I am a little worried to go over the duty cycle, so I haven't had it on for more than 45 seconds, so no clue if it would jump back after some time...is there a possible cure, besides getting a new laser/module? (sorry about hijacking my own thread here ;)

Two equal brightness dots does sound like TEM01, it's very unlikely you can change that.