Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Wanna build my first laser.. Ebay red diode?

ginhev123

Hello!

I have a budget of $30-35 and I was thinking of building my first laser.

I saw those 300mw red laser diodes on eBay and I was thinking of buying one thats so cheap!

But what more parts will I need to build my first laser? Can it fit my budget?

Please help, I have read the thread "So you want to build a laser" but I can't find any cheap parts and I don't get what more parts I need..

A module? Won't the diode be enough? Host? Driver? Heatsink? Red and black wire? Batteries? A spring? etc. etc.

Thanks!

Hello!

I have a budget of $30-35 and I was thinking of building my first laser.

I saw those 300mw red laser diodes on eBay and I was thinking of buying one thats so cheap!

But what more parts will I need to build my first laser? Can it fit my budget?

Please help, I have read the thread "So you want to build a laser" but I can't find any cheap parts and I don't get what more parts I need..

A module? Won't the diode be enough? Host? Driver? Heatsink? Red and black wire? Batteries? A spring? etc. etc.

Thanks!
The threads should explain the other components you need and why you need them.

Module - essentially holds the diode and also often holds the collaminating lens used to focus the light from the diode.

Host - a containment which holds the all the components together in a convenient usable package.

Driver - used to control and limit the voltage/current going from the battery to the diode. Simply hooking the diode directly to a battery with no driver will usually fry the diode.

Red & Black wire ? Red = positive black = negative.

Batteries ? Well, that should be obvious. You need something to provide electricity to run it. Batteries or a regulated DC power supply.