Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Violet/Blue laser skin damage?

itw3ak

Hi All,
been a while since I've visited LPF hope things are well for everyone.

I have a question and could not think of a better place to ask.

Related to skin exposure of a 405nm or 445nm laser, what if any visible damage has anyone experienced after intentional or accidental exposure to the beam?

I ask because I recently began to see the appearance of light spots on the backs of my hands. I have not got any official diagnosis from a dermatologist but I find it worth questioning if my intentional shining of the 405nm laser beams onto my hands to "feel the heat" might be related to these spots.

Granted this is a recent occurrence but I have been using these lasers for the last 3+ years infrequently. My best guess is that this skin lightening is vitiligo. A skin disorder that many claim was brought on after a severe sunburn. And of course a 405nm laser in 120mW and 400mW could certainly stand in for a artificial sunburn from UV exposure right?

Just wondering if these lasers could have played a part in this. If this is indeed possible I would absolutely push any of you using similar lasers NOT TO EXPOSE YOUR SKIN TO THE BEAMS!
I would love to avoid anyone else having to experience this :(

Couple of pix attached.
IMG_20130515_133208.jpg

IMG_20130515_133259.jpg

Interesting.
I think before you jump to lasers you should investigate other possible causes...
Like environmental factors and diet. And of course get it checked out by a medical professional if you are concerned about it.
We are not doctors, just internet characters... so don't trust us with your medical concerns.

That said...
405nm is not considered ionizing radiation. I think that any irritation or damage to your skin would be from the thermal effects of light.
The EPA considers 400-320nm UVA. Given your laser's possible deviation from 405nm exactly, it could be in the UVA category.
http://www.epa.gov/sunwise/doc/uvradiation.html

According to Wikipedia, UVA does not damage DNA directly but secondary effects like the production of free radicals may contribute to a risk of skin cancer.

Last edited:
450nm and below tends to "stress" already - weakened bonds within some cells' mitochondrial layers. But.... who cares really.

Sunburn is caused by UVB exposure - and your only earthly sources may be from sun exposure, fluorescent tubes that allow it through, any other electrical breakdown in the form of a spark already has enough energy to ionized air - and nitrogen molecules relaxing from such an excited state release all that energy back with a high energy photon - its why sparks are usually violet-ish when exposed to open air.

That being said, exposure to any form of intense light rays is never recommended. There are always secondary reactions to short wave light that cannot be promised as safe when the intensity is that of a lasers'.

Just avoid exposure - always. Do wear sunscreen. And don't walk into a lab with exposed skin when the Excimer laser is firing.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
"And don't walk into a lab with exposed skin when the Excimer laser is firing"

LOL And don't clean the radar dish while it's operating, don't change the fan belt while it's running....