Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Vintage film ‘Introduction To The Laser’, 1973

I have a very old, rare and seemingly impossible-to-find film titled ‘Introduction to Lasers’ made in 1973 and would like to make it available to members of LPF. This is a fascinating 16 minute film featuring some of the pioneers of laser technology. It explains the principles of laser light with great ‘old school’ animations and demonstrations. Some vintage laser and other laboratory equipment is shown making this film and absolute must for anyone interested in lasers and wants to own some very retro laser footage on DVD.
Video quality is excellent considering the film was originally made using film stock and later transferred to video tape. Thanks to modern technology, it can now be owned on DVD.
There would only be a small token cost for the disk and postage, but any funds above the postage costs would be used for a good educational cause in a high school.
If you’re interested, please send me a pm me and I’ll gladly reply with more information.

Last edited:

anselm

Could you be convinced to upload it to YouTube, since it is so old, it should be public domain by now, no?:D:D

HIMNL9

Youtube ruins all the videos ..... if you really want to share it, load it on megaupload and share the link ;)

rhd

Could you be convinced to upload it to YouTube, since it is so old, it should be public domain by now, no?:D:D

Lol. Nothing becomes public domain any more. Thank Disney for that. Good old Mickey is still under © protection, as is "Happy Birthday"

1973? Definitely not public domain :(

HIMNL9

But, you know, once it's spread through emule and p2p networks, it's virtuall impossible to eliminate it :p :D

(the only thing to avoid is the so-called "p4p", that is simply a trap from majors :p)

I'll take a copy of this Rob!

I'm sure the funds will go to a good cause. Let us know what kind of projects you and your students are working on.

Pm sent and thanks, sound like its going to be a fun video:beer:

I think that he is offering this at a Small charge to raise project money for his students.
(Rob is not making money off these, but rather offering them for your enjoyment and using whats left over after shipping for school projects)

If your really that interested, spend a couple of bucks, donate to a good cause, and enjoy the film.:beer:

Why dont we all donate what we can, and then he can upload it? No postage, no hassle, and the world gets informed.

If you think about it, how many do you think you'll sell here? Majority of members are kids. There are very few people here that would want a copy. I posted some vintage laser material here a few times, and only a small number downloaded it, and it was free.

Why dont we all donate what we can, and then he can upload it? No postage, no hassle, and the world gets informed.

If you think about it, how many do you think you'll sell here? Majority of members are kids. There are very few people here that would want a copy. I posted some vintage laser material here a few times, and only a small number downloaded it, and it was free.

Thats a good idea, perhaps setting some sort of donation goal and then an upload.
I would love to see the video, but at the same time can wait in trade for a donation to his students projects.

daguin

I got my disc today. It played on the computer just fine.

Very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

+1

Peace,
dave

Hi Dave,
That was quick! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Thanks to you and everyone else who has so kindly become part of this, your contributions will make science to young people enjoyable and much more engaging.
Because there are so many possibilities on what project or equipment the funds can be spent on, it seems I keep changing my mind every day. I do want to ensure that the funds are not spend on everyday, consumable items but instead on something that's going to last from year to year as an educational tool. I won't bother buying a laser for the school either because I can always bring my own in to use with the kids. (The school already has a pretty powerful HeNe I donated to it).
Ideally I'd like to do something for a 'Flight' science class which has been introduced this year as part of a new program.
Any ideas are very welcome.
Best wishes.
Rob.

I got my disc today. It played on the computer just fine.

Very interesting.

Thank you for sharing this with us.

+1

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Got my video today Rob.
Thanks alot! This was great fun. I'm surprised really just how many applications they mentioned compared to the age of the film.
The hologram was dated and cool though, had to be viewed with a laser:D
Left me looking for the next part of the series though, I could have watched another 2 hours!(I'v always been a documentary junkie though)

Great film and good luck with the student projects, they are lucky to have such a dedicated teacher.:beer::beer:

Hi Carl,
Glad you enjoyed it :yh:
I'll try to keep you updated on the student project.
Take care!

Got my video today Rob.
Thanks alot! This was great fun. I'm surprised really just how many applications they mentioned compared to the age of the film.
The hologram was dated and cool though, had to be viewed with a laser:D
Left me looking for the next part of the series though, I could have watched another 2 hours!(I'v always been a documentary junkie though)

Great film and good luck with the student projects, they are lucky to have such a dedicated teacher.:beer::beer: