Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video card help!!!!

Kenom

I'm in need of upgrading my video card so I can utilize the brand new bluray burner in my computer for watchin bluray movies on my HD 47" LCD tv that I have connected to my computer with hdmi connection. However, it's been so long since i've looked into video cards that I'm completely lost. I don't have the processro speed (pentium4 805D @ 2.6ghz w/2 Gigs of ram) to do this without upgrading to a fairly good video card. Yet I've only got a budget of $200 I prefer ATI based cards. and don't game hardly at all. video's only.

Recommendations??

Kenom said:
I'm in need of upgrading my video card so I can utilize the brand new bluray burner in my computer for watchin bluray movies on my HD 47" LCD tv that I have connected to my computer with hdmi connection.  However, it's been so long since i've looked into video cards that I'm completely lost.  I don't have the processro speed (pentium4 805D @ 2.6ghz w/2 Gigs of ram) to do this without upgrading to a fairly good video card.  Yet I've only got a budget of $200  I prefer ATI based cards. and don't game hardly at all.  video's only.

Recommendations??

I'd really go with the ATI 4850

it's around 160-180 dollars (you can get it for even less with mail-in rebate)

it's awesome to view hd videos, you wont have ANY problems (just download the fix so you can increase the fan speed)

the thing is that your processor may not catch up to the card and may create bottlenecks

you could sell the proc. and get any core 2 duo, that should do it :)

yeah ATI dominates right now.

I bought an HD3870 before the 4xxx series came out. It would be more than enough for what you're using it for and is pretty cheap now.

Oh I forgot to ask... you do have a PCIe slot right?

Theres a few HD3870's on newegg for $129. Great deal, plenty of power.

Kenom

Yeah my mobo has 2 pcie sllots. *(no that's not a typo there are two LL's to represent the 2 slots)  Well, I know of nobody that will buy my proc for what I'd need to get a better one.  Not to mention I don't believe my mobo supports a dual core processor.  I'll research that now.  It's an asus p5wd2-e premium?  Which only supports the pentium extreme and D's.

GooeyGus said:
yeah ATI dominates right now.

I bought an HD3870 before the 4xxx series came out. It would be more than enough for what you're using it for and is pretty cheap now.

Oh I forgot to ask... you do have a PCIe slot right?

Theres a few HD3870's on newegg for $129. Great deal, plenty of power.

for 130 dollars you may as well get the 4850..best bang for the buck

be sure to have a 520w PSU

Kenom

Looks like it's time to upgrade my mobo and processor then if it's going to cause bottlenecks with my current processor.

that's too expensive for THAT processor.

i'd get this setup:

520W PSU
Asus p5b-deluxe
ati 4850
core 2 duo e6300 (you can overclock it REALLY easily and achieve nice speeds)

that should be cheap enough

yea that's way expensive for the crappy oven that is the Pentium D series, for that price you could get an AMD X2 6000+ and have enough cash left over for a motherboard to go along with it