Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Video:  My New Laser Hatchling! :)

glona

Re: Video:  My New Laser Hatchling! :)

well it may not be recommended but i have a few diods would it be ok to try even if it killed the diode after liek a few hours ?

glona

or if i bought diffrent regulaters woudl it work?

Gazoo

Glona,
One question is going to lead to another, and all of the answers are in the Experiment and Modifications of this forum. As I understand it you want to harvest a diode from a DVD reader. You probably will not be happy with it but if you do, you need to regulate the current going to it. I have no idea how much current a DVD reader diode uses. I am only familiar with DVD burner diodes.

I think you have all the parts you need except the LM317 regulator...these are available at Radio Shack. For the diode's current I am guessing 20ma's or so. So you would also need a 62.5 ohm resistor. Radioshack has 68 ohm resistors but you might have some with your lab. This would be close enough.

The value of the capacitor is not critical as long as it is 10uf 16 volts or more.

With the above three components and a power supply that is at least 6 volts, you can build a driver.

glona

ok thanks and yesi ahve thoes ohm so all i need to get is the regulater thanks so much i knwow i am a noob at this but thats fro tryign to help me and it realyl did help and il b goign to rs tomarrowto get some stufff nwo i just got to set it up woot
:D