Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Very Strange looking diode

i have just managed to harvest this from a multi layer dvd drive from 1 of toshiba`s latest laptops .it has 4 pins in a row , the 2 middles are shorted together leaving the 2 outers . now although this appears to have 3 inputs the ribbon which is soldered to the pins has only 2 thick tracks .

after testing the 2 middles are pos+ and the 2 outers are neg- , 1 of the outers emmits a normal looking red light and the other outer emmits a very strong red light from the aperture ..ATM there is no optics so the beam is thrown wide .

from the ribbon the 2 outers must be shorted together also because the ribbon only has 2 tracks ...so this diode must have 2 modes .

so any help with what kinda diode this maybee & also driver & lense choice would be greatly appreciated ...

Attachments

ped

Its pretty pointless, you have no way of mounting the diode to heatsink it, let a lone be able to focus it with a lens ect.

If you goto odicforce (google it) , you can get diodes mounted in modules with lens & driver allready installed for less than £10.

thanx PED ...i have just got back into lasers ..i 1st started with lasers about 15 yrs ago with a 300mw 532 ..i allready have varius drivers , diodes , optics but because this diode is new to me i obviuosly was wondering if it might be anything special ?? thats all .
i could heatsink it and mount it with a lens but didnt know whether it would be worth it ...are you familiar with this diode ? cheers ped

AUS

I've seen similar. Most have put out 200-300mW at 660nm. You may be able to shove it into a cut down Aixiz module like in this thread.

I'm thinking of mounting one on a flat heatsink with a lens glued in front of it.

thanx aus ....the only reason i am chasin this is because i was shocked at how much light this diode thrown out with very little power input ....it would be very easy to mount with a aixiz module ..all i would have to do is cut a horizontal section about 3mm wide accross the opening of the module & this would slot str8 in ( just like a flat blade screwdriver being inserted into a screw head ) ....ive seen diodes mounted this way b4 ... by the way the 2nd pic shows the small oblong aperture pointing directly at my camera .

found the exact diode i have ...it appears that these flat reds have had quite a lot of testing on here ...heres a link with a bit of info http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/flat-plastic-diodes-testing-44719.html

another link showing how to mount a flat red diode ...http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/flat-red-mount-modified-aixiz-module-easy-49550.html

so ive read lots of info on these on LPF and if i`m righ in thinking these are quite desireable ...pleez correct me if i`m wrong ..cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Gryphon

These flat plastic diodes although difficult to mount have always given out a good amount of power. I had one glued to the back of a module and it worked well for quite some time.

thx grpyon , yeah , thats what i`m seeing , apparant high power outputs with low heat buildup ...can i ask you what kinda setup you used for power ( cells , driver )
cheers

wow ...tested the diode lastnite and we have instantanius burning power ....beam was not as bright as i would have hoped but i`m pretty sure it was more to do with poor quality lens
i`m going to get this mounted properly onto a heatsink today & re-test with a better lens .

*sorry guys , messed the edit up & reposted*

Last edited:
o.k ....I`m amazed @ the power of this flat diode ......i`m not jokin wen i say this will cut a black plastic pen in half ....powering from a single 18650 ...unknown driver , unknown glass lens ...the nano second that the beam hits the object its burning ...instant ! still cant get a nice bright beam tho .....its clearly visable in a daylit room but not bright ..i`ve so got to get a test load built .... if any 1 knows from experiance what kinda power (with appropriate heat sinkin) this can handle would you step in .....much appreciated
scott

AUS

I have two of these and both put out well over 250mW. I haven't got them in decent heatsinks so haven't LPM'd them properly.

thx AUS ...i have now made a complete brass head & mounted this now , i have adjustable focus , i`m just building a 317 driver right now ....what was your current input when u tested ?? also if u used cell/cells 2 power it what where u using ?
cheers