Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Very Cheap Burning Lasers

Last edited:

power: 5dB/mW? What?

Also, you don't want 532nm (green) for burning, go with 405nm or 650nm. I'd try buying from the forums if you want something that'll definitely work as you want it to. I'll leave any website suggestions to other members.

power: 5dB/mW? What?

Also, you don't want 532nm (green) for burning, go with 405nm or 650nm. I'd try buying from the forums if you want something that'll definitely work as you want it to. I'll leave any website suggestions to other members.

Just remember.. You get what you pay for. Nothing any good is cheap. {most times}

Thanks for the reply, who would you recommend i buy from in these forums (Cheap + Reliable). I have a budget of $25 plus shipping to the UK.

I am looking for a green laser the can burn and you can see the beam in the sky

Taken from my PM -- for reference.

zraffleticket said:
Ordinarily I would, however I've not been too active on the forums for a couple months so I'm not familiar with what sites are reliable anymore.

Plus, you're looking for cheap, powerful and reliable. That mix just doesn't happen anymore.

Green isn't really suitable for burning right now considering green diodes just recently hit the market and reached a reasonable power, however a diode will still cost you $55+shipping. Just the light emitter alone, no host, no lens, no driver, no heatsink, no nothing.

So that leaves green DPSS, which is inherently not reliable. What that does is has a powerful IR light emitter which is shined into a crystal, which is shined into a second, into a lens and out is green. And loads of IR. These crystals only operate properly at certain temperatures, and only at proper alignment -> a lot of work.

Getting higher power means more proper alignment/higher quality optics and whatnot. Just something you won't see reliably at a cheap price.

A lot of ebay auctions are hit or miss when it comes to powerful green pens, sometimes you're lucky and get a 60mW unit, others it arrives broken because the crystals misalign during shipping, or it's just generally a bad unit.

__

Bottom line: That's why I can't offer you any suggestions. This is a damn expensive hobby.

upaa27

You aren't going to get a laser that can burn anything for $25. Maybe for $50 but I doubt it

The cheapest you will get is if you tear down a dvd or blu-ray burner. Then extract the diode (either 650nm or 405nm) and press into a copper module. Then get a cheap host and build the ubiquitous LM317 driver.

Rifter

The cheapest you will get is if you tear down a dvd or blu-ray burner. Then extract the diode (either 650nm or 405nm) and press into a copper module. Then get a cheap host and build the ubiquitous LM317 driver.

Yeah this, try and get your hands on a LPC-826 red diode and throw it in a cheap host and that will be your best bet. Or just but the kit from survival laser but that will run you about $100.

Or a 405 diode from a blue ray drive. Either way the single mode diodea are your best bet for burning. Stay away from DPSS for burning.

Yeah this, try and get your hands on a LPC-826 red diode and throw it in a cheap host and that will be your best bet. Or just but the kit from survival laser but that will run you about $100.

Or a 405 diode from a blue ray drive. Either way the single mode diodea are your best bet for burning. Stay away from DPSS for burning.

You aren't going to get a laser that can burn anything for $25. Maybe for $50 but I doubt it
Thanks for the reply guys. After reading your comments i have decided i want a laser in which i can see the beam clearly in the night sky. i hope this is not too much to ask. My budget is still $25 with Shipping to the UK

Rifter

Thanks for the reply guys. After reading your comments i have decided i want a laser in which i can see the beam clearly in the night sky. i hope this is not too much to ask. My budget is still $25 with Shipping to the UK

This will be harder to accomplish as the most powerful single mode diodes are either 650-660nm or 405nm and those are at the ends of the visible color spectrum so very hard to see compared to say a 532nm DPSS green.

I can see the beam on my 300mw 660nm at night, but its not super bright, my 50mw 532nm looks way brighter at night. But my 50mw 532 cant burn anything...

You might want to look into a separate laser for sky pointing and then have a dedicated burning laser instead of trying to make one do it all laser and having to compromise for both purposes.

EDIT: Your best bet is still probably a DVD burner diode(hopefully one with a LPC-826) in a cheap host with a LM317 driver as mentioned above.

Last edited:
A cheap ebay green will be visible at night.

Green makes possibly the worst burner, but is the most visible. ~20mW is easily seen at night.

650nm and 405nm are not very visible, but can easily burn.

So, for $25 you can get a visible green or 2 from ebay or maybe amazon.