Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

variable power pointer?

BKarim

is there a pointer that can output 5mW for indoor pointing and for example 50mW for outdoor ?

Not that I know of, but you can make one. All you would have to do is drill a hole right above the potentiometer, and attach a small knob to the screw. Then you could just turn it to increase/decrease power. But you would have to include a stopper so it doesn't turn too far.

Buy a ND filter (neutral density) and mount it in a cap that fits over the tip of your laser. (make sure the ND filter is AR coated)
Cap on=<5mW
Cap off=50mW
(W/ 10% pass ND filter)
The pot. idea will work, but IMHO, those pots are not meant to be fiddled with 3-4 times a day. It will go bad on you in a short time.
Good luck!

I don't think a ND filter will work well with lasers, as it could bleach. If you want to do that, use a wavelength-specific optical filter. You can but these on Ebay in different percentages of blocking.

I don't think a ND filter will work well with lasers, as it could bleach. If you want to do that, use a wavelength-specific optical filter. You can but these on Ebay in different percentages of blocking.
I have never heard of a ND filter bleaching out.
Of course, I haven't studied them either.
The only reason I have any, is because my old LPM could only measure up to 100mW without one. The 90% LD filter has had the beam through it, for maybe 10 minutes total.
Let me take a wild guess here; 405nm is the worse for fading the ND filter? (of diode RGB)
That's what I like about this forum, you learn something new everyday.
Thanks for the info. randomlugia
+1 for telling me of a potential problem I have never heard of. (or even thought about)