Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Variable Output Controlled Handheld 637nm ML520G71 Build!

Fiddy

G'day,

So yesterday i received a special host with heatsink off rhd.

It runs off 2x AA nicad batteries or 1 single 14500 lithium and the host detail and machining work is nice.
The thing i was most interested in was the driver and control on this bad boy.

It has a ring near the end of the host that was controlling current depending on how far you turned it!

So once i knew this i wondered if i could use it to control a laser.

I did a few calculations on the XPG LED inside and worked out a current based on its claimed maximum light output.

My semi-educated estimate was ~528mA.

I looked for a laser diode that had a similar Vf current to that of a XPG LED, and that was case isolated, because i was unsure if the driver's negative was continuous.

So the 300mW ML520G71 was perfect for this application.

I stripped down the host, removed the LED and driver and put some of that nice 26 gauge wire on the driver.

Now the ring that is used to vary the output current has no electrical connection to the driver or diode!

So i put it all back together and put it on the test load, it made 510mA with 3 rectifier diodes in series giving a 2.1Vdrop.

Happy with the results i quickly tested it (while the module wasn't installed into the housing to make it case isolated)
with a LPC-826 i had on hand in a module, it worked really well!

Today i installed a the ML520G71 into the host today and it ran flawlessly!

You get a large range of power outputs with this setup :)

Here's a video:

Note: the heatsink that im using doesn't have a set screw so i cant mount it up properly at the moment.

I will get LPM and beamshots when i fully assemble the laser this weekend.

Thanks for looking!

Fiddy.

Last edited:

That's really neat D: I kind of want one of those, not gonna lie. Do you know what the host is called?

This post is your 1337 post! well done!

Nice host, great concept! I'm liking it!

Wow, that's an amazing concept! It would figure that RHD is the one who first made that. He's always been pretty original with unique hosts like his "Ancient Light" series. If you or him ever feel like revealing the host flashlight that was used, let us know, I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested! Great build! :beer:

Fiddy

That's really neat D: I kind of want one of those, not gonna lie. Do you know what the host is called?

Hehe i think a lot of people will :)

this host is called the Sunwayman V20A, its a fairly expensive host around $75 AUD i think was the cheapest i found.

13232495990.jpg

Also this was the XPG LED which runs at lower currents, they have released a XML-T6 version, which i imagine will be running more current, my guess is around 1400mA based on its 460lm output.

This post is your 1337 post! well done!

Nice host, great concept! I'm liking it!

Thanks man

Wow, that's an amazing concept! It would figure that RHD is the one who first made that. He's always been pretty original with unique hosts like his "Ancient Light" series. If you or him ever feel like revealing the host flashlight that was used, let us know, I'm sure that I'm not the only one interested! Great build! :beer:

im not sure if rhd had done this before, as the host i bought off him had the led still attached to the driver.

Fiddy

Very nice build, fits with the 1337th post! How does it work though?

what is this 1337 stuff lol?

My guess is it has some sort of hall effect sensor on the driver than responds to the magnetism of the ring that you twist.

found some pictures on CPF of what the driver looks like:

53576837.jpg

OpenedV10RTi7.jpg

Tonga

Very cool man that is a Beaut for a host too;)! Excellent work:beer:!!

Fiddy

well heres the LPM results:

sunwaymanv20apowervariable.jpg

Not the steps are a small turns i made on the ring :)