Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Using a PBS from GGW or GBW to combine 445

drlava

Hey guys, after a thorough search of going through sled parts looking for a PBS that could combine two 445 lasers without too much loss, I've found a good option. The PBS/Reflector combination that is mounted vertically, pointing up to the red read lens in the GGW-H20L and GBW-H10N is just about right for the job. Pass the horizontally polarized beam off the internal reflector and through the PBS, and pass the vertically polarized beam straight in off the PBS and they appear to be combined with acceptable losses.

Note the beam entering from the bottom looks skinnier because you're looking at it along the skinny axis.

Attachments

• PICT0113.jpg
    PICT0113.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 276
  • PICT0120_.jpg
    PICT0120_.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 300

Of course thats the most difficult of the GGW cubes to remove, but looks good. Thanks for the info.:thanks:

Morgan

^I had no problem removing mine?

It was originally there to combine red and BR correct? What losses do you get from each beam?

M
:)

Neat, the combining optics i'm used to have only one beam redirected while the other
one passes straight through, so it took me a second to figure out what was going on.

drlava

It was originally there to combine red and BR correct? What losses do you get from each beam?

Correct, I assume the purpose was to help the unit detect which type of disc was inserted. I didn't measure the losses directly, but the waste beams combined appeared to be <10% of the input power.

Morgan

It looks like you've got a tiny back reflection off the beam entering at the bottom. Does the beam exit the top or to the left?

[EDIT: After a second look it must be to the left?]

M

How is the beam profile at short & long range since your fast axis is crossed now?

Anyone have a spare GGW or GBW sled/cube? :D

drlava

Yes, the beams exit to the left.

How is the beam profile at short & long range since your fast axis is crossed now?

I have the lenses adjusted (aixiz glass) so that at a distance the dot is square. So combining them this way just results in a brighter square. At close range it is more + like

Morgan

I was having a think about this Dr.Lava. I've played about with this optic in the past but couldn't remember whether a couple of things so if I get this wrong then I'm sorry but...

With the setup you have there, can you move the beam entering at the bottom to the left and have the beam exit the top where the second beam currently enters? If so, you might be able to move the second beam to enter from the left and end up with a more conventional, 'perpendicular', arrangment and save a bit of space. I know the optic is tapered a bit funnily so it may not work, and you may have tried it already and found it to be useless but I'd love to know if it'd work.

I would try myself but don't currently have two 445s working.

If you decide to give it a go, then thanks in advance.

M

Last edited:
Thank you for pointing this out Dr Lava,
I was surprised at PL this got nowhere yet I was thrilled to see your discovery. I just noticed now your post here about it.

+rep :)