Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

using a pbs cube to get multiple beams PLEASE RESPOND

I have been told over and over that you can not use more than one "cube" to get 2 lasers to be joined into one..OK...but what if you used that same principle using small brass housings for pen style lasers and connected four lasers on one side each seperately collimated facing one side of the cube...and use four lasers set up in the same fashion on the other side of the cube with each diode producing 250mw+ 650nm red laser light stacked in a "square" pattern on each side lining up with the other in a tight square pattern so the 4 beams on one side of the cube combine with the 4 beams on the other side of the cube to produce a Doubled Power Output comming out of the cube with 4 beams each leaving the cube around 500mw each collimated close together and have the final 4 beams merge to a "focal" point using a simple adjustable lens to collimate the 4 beams to a point...NOT a single beam but a Single dot! That would be aproximatly 2 watts concentrated visible 650nm red laser light to burn with! the diodes would have to be fan cooled constantly to reduce heat and "cycled" on and off for brief periods to let the diodes cool down but that would work right!!!!!!!!!! LET ME KNOW IF THIS WILL INDEED WORK...BECAUSE I WANT TO BUILD SUCH A SYSTEM!

HIMNL9

can't work very easy for a simple reason ..... a laser beam is a straight line, no matter if you focus four of them on a single spot of the cube face, they still diverge after that point :p

as in the draw.

other than this, a polarized cube is NOT a linear device, too.

Then if you want to combine all the 8 dots in a single point, focusing them, yes, it's possible, but you need micrometric (and i mean MICROMETRIC, not just screws) laser holders and cube holder and lens holder, and enough patience to combine all them perfectly (literally, perfectly)

With these premises, it's also possible, but i ask you, does it worth all the time and effort ? ..... if you made it as an experiment, i can understand you, i made enough crazy experiments in my life, also when they had no practical applications, so i can understand the experiment fever :D ..... but for a practical use ? ..... :thinking:

Attachments

• beams-cube.jpg
    beams-cube.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 137
My goal was to use a large pbs cube and use dvd burning diodes housed in a small brass housing in the shape of a square ALL parallel to each side of the cube at 90 degrees to each other...the same way you would do for 2 lasers to be joined as one beam leaving the cube just stacked into a square on each side and the collimated out going beams focused through a thick double convex lens to bring the four dots to a single focal point for burning.

c4r0

It would be probably cheaper to use a few small PCBS instead of one large, result would be the same.

Last edited:
It would be probably cheaper to use a few small "PBS" (I would call it PCBC) instead of one large, result would be the same.

PBS cubes can't be used in series if that is what you mean here. The right Dichroic mirrors can though.

diachi

PBS cubes can't be used in series if that is what you mean here. The right Dichroic mirrors can though.

Dichroic mirrors won't do any good either. They are for passing/reflecting beams of different wavelengths ( hence how they are used to combine different wavelengths into one beam ) . To split ONE beam into two you can either "cut" it with a knife edge mirror OR simply use a partially reflective mirror.

**Just actually read the post. The only EASY way to combine more than two beams using a PBS would be to use the knife edge mirror method. I'll post a diagram of this in a few minutes.

Image :

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: