Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

User Restrictions

Not sure if this has been brought up before, but it seems like almost everyday I see a new member struggling because of the 20 (its 20 isnt it?) post count restriction to post links and such. I thought the restricted privileges were mainly there to stop spammers, so I would this it would suffice to just limit it to a requisite of 5, or even just 1 previous post?

I'm not sure if that's easy to do with the forum software, but if so I think it'll make it a lot easier on new members without really affecting the spammers. Any input from admin?

T

timelord

I'm still with the 20 post to determine a genuine member for example thinklasers ;)

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey, we can change this, but first id like to here what more people think

Y

yew.sir-name

i think pictures should be lowerd, maybe even add an upload more than one at a time feature(a picture says a thousand words) and sometimes people need to show what they're having problems with. as for links in posts, mods can make them clickable if need be, but it's not hard to coppy and paste into the address bar and delete a couple of spaces to see a site. 20 is not that high a number.

I don't think you will be able to seperate pictures from links cause they both use a URL. I think 5 is a good enough number, 1 really is enough considering they are bots, but five should be best.

Things

i think 5 or 10 posts would be good! most spam bots only post once, then they make a new account.

I dunno, I still think that this block is only good for bots, in which case 20 is excessive. Even 5 would be excessive but it would be an improvement.

For scammers like thinklasers whose $$$ relies on you getting to their site, I don't think a simple no-link restriction is gunna even slow them down. Afterall, I ended up at the thinklasers site anyway, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Its tough because we need a good balance for security/ease of use, but I don't really think blocking link posting and pictures needs a 20 post limit.

I think the problem is that when you are new you have loads to ask and sometimes adding a link or picture helps. It was frustrating for a while for me but it didn't take long to get the number of posts required. Anyway SenKat came to my rescue early on and I have seen him help out others with early link fixes.

* I think that is a "don't know" then :)*

Regards rog8811

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
i changed the limit to 10 posts

Gazoo

Yeah, I saw that too.. ;D Well, got to hand it to him...he is determined.. ;D

Things

oh so it got changed to 10? i thought that thread was pretty funny, but i doubt a spambot would go through all that!

Huge BUMP! I just saw that the limit was just upped to 30 posts! What spambot is going to post 30 posts to post a link? 5 posts should be good IMO, 10 should be an absolute maximum. Does anybody else agree?