Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

US residents blocked from buying the dx 200mW red?

Razako

Re: US residents blocked from buying the dx 200mW

bobobob121 said:
i looked on the site and it says US residents cannot purchase the laser. I have not tried yet but thats what it says..

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11315
Basically it's just a scare tactic. The laser is already illegal and now they're just specifically telling you in order to scare away buyers. Unless you live in Hawaii US customs don't even open the packages to check.
I would say buy it and see what happens. At worst you will be out $40.

yea, but i also am ordering batteries and a charger

There goes my money from referrals. :(

Bah ! They must have had the FDA come down on them - even though they are based in China, the FDA still pulls international weight ! I'm not going to run in circles screaming, "The sky is falling" just yet though ;) I can still make these cheaper than they sell them for anyways, and have fun doing it ! :D

Jules

Hmmm... Here is the exact quote "[highlight]Important FDA Warning for all >5mW Lasers: FDA advices all customers that these lasers may be purchased only if you are NOT a citizen of the United States and you are NOT currently living in the United States.[/highlight]"

I have a 35mw green on route that has shipped already.  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10004 It doesn't contain that warning but I noticed a lot of the handheld ones such as the "true Green 30mW" do, but didn't a week ago. I also noticed when it arrived it was labeled DIY parts/Gift. Sweet!

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds. I noticed there was a warning about the Youtube build a burning laser from a DVD player on the ILDA web site here http://www.laserist.org/DVD-laser-caution.htm it is under their consumer warning section.

Jules

Razako said:
[quote author=bobobob121 link=1215737689/0#0 date=1215737689]i looked on the site and it says US residents cannot purchase the laser. I have not tried yet but thats what it says..

Basically it's just a scare tactic. The laser is already illegal and now they're just specifically telling you in order to scare away buyers. Unless you live in Hawaii US customs don't even open the packages to check.
I would say buy it and see what happens. At worst you will be out $40.[/quote]

Scare tactic you think. Here's the rest of the low down some of which you've mentioned

This is nothing new.There has for many years a federal law against importation of non FDA approved lasers.
That means you the buyer are the importer. Also on the FDA site is stated a monetary penalty that can be levied exceeding the cost of purchase and importation by a large amount of $$.
It could by far cost you more that a mere 40$ if the federal court system decides to penalize.

Again this is old news folks

By it a see what happens is very bad advice

SenKat_Stonetek said:
Bah ! They must have had the FDA come down on them - even though they are based in China, the FDA still pulls international weight ! I'm not going to run in circles screaming, "The sky is falling" just yet though ;) I can still make these cheaper than they sell them for anyways, and have fun doing it ! :D

im now thinking about possibly buying a red laser from you in the future if you sell them :D

and i think its going to be a little harder getting them now.

Good thing I have two [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Sucks for US people.

You can always buy off people in this forum. It doesnt need to be imported then.

you have 2 200mW dx red?

looks like im rummaging through the buy,sell,trade section ;D

Razako

steve001 said:
[quote author=Razako link=1215737689/0#1 date=1215737875][quote author=bobobob121 link=1215737689/0#0 date=1215737689]i looked on the site and it says US residents cannot purchase the laser. I have not tried yet but thats what it says..

I would say buy it and see what happens. At worst you will be out $40.[/quote]

Scare tactic you think. Here's the rest of the low down some of which you've mentioned

This is nothing new.There has for many years a federal law against importation of non FDA approved lasers.
That means you the buyer are the importer. Also on the FDA site is stated a monetary penalty that can be levied exceeding the cost of purchase and importation by a large amount of $$.
It could by far cost you more that a mere 40$ if the federal court system decides to penalize.

Again this is old news folks

By it a see what happens is very bad advice[/quote]
That's only if they actually open the package and catch you. How many times have your dx packages been opened by customs? Assuming that you live in the USA of course. Out of 30 something Dx purchases I haven't had a single package opened.

idk, im going to do some searching around on these forums for some deals on some red lasers. Then if i don't find anything, im going to resort to DX

I bought the red 200mW DX (dilda) (back on March 14, 2008) and had no problems.  It actually arrived within a week. I live in Illinois.

i cant find anything cheaper on here so i might just go for DX

Kenom

Yes but you have to assume that if the FDA has contacted dealextreme to indicate that the sale of those to the US was a bad idea then you can be assured that they have also placed dealextreme as one of the must look manufacturers when they come in to customs.