Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Urgent Help needed...:(

Hi there,

I am trying to do some investigation of the geometry of laser beam reflected from the sloping smooth bottom, specially the underwater bottom. Can anyone suggest me any book or any materials?

I will highly appreciate this help. Please help me.

thanks in advnace.

thanks a lot for the reply Brother.

DO you have any softcopy of this book by any chance

regards

What is it that you are trying to accomplish with
the geometry of a Laser beam info..:thinking:
Any new project we should know about...:)

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
My supervisor asked me to investigate this property first and then he will discuss with me the whole project.

In my sense, what we are planning to do is, we want to find out a process with Laser technology which is a complementary of the acoustics specially the under water ocean surface.

thats all i can say for the time being.

DrSid

Well lasers have been researched for underwater detection and communication for some time. Anyway it is a bit outside the scope of this forum. I personally haven't seen such problems discussed here.
However for basic evaluation you don't need anything specific I think, just basic physics. I would love to help with that. By a chance I even have some knowledge about underwater acoustics, even if not on professional level. Pity you can't say more.

I was very excited when i started to read the first line of your post but sad after reading the last line.:( is there is any documents even related to underwater acoustics please provide me.

i am really struggling in this research. I want to build up my foundation strong.

please.

DrSid

I was very excited when i started to read the first line of your post but sad after reading the last line.:( is there is any documents even related to underwater acoustics please provide me.

i am really struggling in this research. I want to build up my foundation strong.

please.

As for acoustics .. can't say much about documents. But there are books. They are low edition size, so expensive. I was recommended this book:

Principles of Underwater Sound 3rd Edition: Robert J. Urick: 9780932146625: Amazon.com: Books

And I must say it's a great book. But keep in mind, most acoustic problems won't apply with lasers.

As for lasers, all I can do without specific questions is to guide you to google .. search terms like 'laser underwater detection' seems to result in 'something', though I admit it's nothing much.

As for what I heard .. lasers were tested recently especially for detecting mines in shallow waters, from helicopter. Helicopter would fly low over water, shining its lasers down and scanning the bottom for irregularities. Green lasers seemed to work surprisingly well.

I also hear about lasers being considered for communication with submerged submarines in cold war years. Again green lasers were considered, with either airplane or satellite which would shine laser in rather wide cone into expected friendly submarine location, which would then intercept the signal. I'm not sure if the system was ever tested at all.

Anyway .. what is clear .. green light seems to be used. If the light is to be transmitted from air, laser should hit the water as perpendicular as possible, as at such angle reflection losses are best. I guess surface waves would be major factor for bottom scanning, also water purity.

With the laser itself underwater the set of problems would be similar to active sonar, but I never heard about such system.