Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Uranium Glass Tubing

Uranium Glass Blowing Tube Borosilicate 8mm OD x 1mm Wall x 4 inch long
Buy It Now: US $6.00 for qty of 1 ( 4”) = $2.75 per inch
................US $72.00 for qty of 12 (48”) = $1.60 per inch[ if shipping remains at $5.00]
Shipping: US $5.00
9cf2_1.JPG

Last edited:

I clicked on the link thinking I would go ahead and buy some to play with... and then saw the price for the 48" tubes! Holy S#!t

How about a group buy?:crackup:

Last edited:
wow, good find! thanks for posting this. i ordered 2 samples. i may finally make my phr lamp.

Been looking at these for a looooong time. Price is kind of out there though. I've been waiting for then to come down, but the price is solid.

That is some neat stuff. I'm going to try and see what I can do with the 8mm sample size. :thanks:

Got them, and they appear to be in good condition with exception to small hairline cracks near the cutting edge, which is to be expected.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sorry about the blur, it was hard to get a nice sharp photo holding it by hand while getting the right lighting. The lighting source was a "5mW" (really 50mW) 405nm laser pointer.

Attachments

• IMG_1856_small.jpg
    IMG_1856_small.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 4,890
  • IMG_1857_small.jpg
    IMG_1857_small.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 2,405
Well, a great deal of the light exits the tube as well, but I thought it'd be brighter as well. Maybe it's only lightly doped.

Ive bought a half dozen over the last couple years. They are just as bright as any other Uranium glass marbles and other stuff I've bought.

The guy is super nice and easy to deal with, he cut down a couple 4" ones to a pair of 2" tubes or me late last year.

I'm working on a night light with a 405nm laser in the middle under a 1" uranium glass marble.
The marble will be held in place by 4 of these tubes cut to 2" and the mirrored wood top The tubes have 405nm LED's on each end. Every thing is done other than assembly and the on/off switches.

LED section for tubes is below (somehow ended upside down, sorry)

The tubes light great if you shine directly on it. Shining through it, you mostly get spray from the edges of the laser to light it up.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 550
Last edited:
Well, a great deal of the light exits the tube as well, but I thought it'd be brighter as well. Maybe it's only lightly doped.

Kinda makes sense though, if you laser isn't diverging much coming out of the lens then the glass shouldn't actually be exposed to much of of the light.

Unless I am reading you wrong.

I was thinking of cutting it down very short and putting it on a focus knob. But your post made me think maybe that won't really glow. :thinking:

Would be cool to make electrical discharge tubes out of these. Fill it with argon or mercury vapor and the gas discharge should make it glow green :)

ARG

How safe is uranium glass? I goggled it up but found mixed reactions.