Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

UPDATE (Feb 8): Large broadband polarized beam splitters $21 shipped @ Surplus Shed

New Coupon Code (expires Monday Feb 10): SS101402

(Photo update below)

Surplus shed is selling some large (27x27mm or 22x22mm, your pick) broadband polarized beam splitters for only $21 shipped! These would normally go for $300 each, and from what I've seen on eBay they're definitely expensive to buy at this size. These are huge even compared to some of the splitters sold out of Chinese shops that are narrow band. To compare, the polarized beamsplitters in sleds are about 3x3mm; the Chinese beam splitters are usually only 10x10mm.

How to use: these unused, polarized beamsplitters can be used for combining beams of the same wavelength or different wavelengths as long as the polarizations are perpendicular to each other. They're very helpful if you need to, for example, combine two red lasers into a single, more powerful beam without using something like knife-edging. The large size also means you can combine larger knife-edged beams together.

The broadband coating also means you can combine different wavelengths, though I'd probably use a dichro for that and save the cube! The beamsplitters are mounted on a piece of glass as a base, so you don't have to mount these directly to the cube.

Surplus shed also has free shipping until the deal expires for everything in the shop. Not a huge value (~$5), but hey, for smaller orders it might make the difference.

The deal expires Dec 2. I've bought two of the 27x27mm cubes for future projects.

Relevant links:

27x27mm Polarized Beam Splitter

22x22mm Polarized Beam Splitter

I just received my 27x27 beamsplitters. These things are absolutely huge!

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0317_smaller.jpg
    IMG_0317_smaller.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:

Blord

Re: Large broadband polarized beam splitters $21 shipped @ Surplus Shed

Thanks for letting us know !

Thanks for letting us know indeed- I was looking for some of these the other day, and found nothing under 150$. I may have to get me one!

Great find, I'm getting a couple myself for future projects as a deal like this doesn't happen every day.

A question: what is the term " Extinction ratio is 500:1" I'm not an optical person, can some one explain :thinking:

Free shipping worldwide or just USA? Last time I tried to buy from them international shipping was way too expensive.

Blord

You can ask an US member to do the purchase and he/she will ship the items at cost.

I have ordered the large one. A new toy to play with. :)

Shipping is US-only from Surplus Shed, but you can make arrangements with them or get someone to help you out like Blord mentioned.

What the extinction ratio means for these cubes: when you want the correctly polarized light to reflect off that polarized surface, most of the light will get reflected as intended (500:1 ratio), but a tiny bit will pass through because it's not perfect (1:500); likewise for transmission through that surface. A higher ratio means it's doing its job better. It's kind of like if you had two polarized piece of glass perpendicular to each other: how much light gets blocked out.

BB beats me again--

from the SS listing
""Absolute beauties. Made of SF2 high index optical glass. 22mm thick by 28mm long. Wavelength range is 420 to 680 nm. Extinction ratio is 500: 1 average. Transmitted beam deviation is +/- 5 arc min. Clear aperture is 80 percent of dimension. Antireflection coating. Edmunds sells similar ones for over $300. Unused.

these are very large as BSC s go --they are NOT square
but ...

A quick check right now shows that the SQUARE 30mm & 20mm are both 'out of stock' BUT for the 15mmX15mm version they have in stock and the price is $19 each- you may want one of each while shipping if free.

I will order at least one- they are out ATM of the two larger size square ones- but they do have this one you may want to order alone or at the same time- but the free shipping is not going to be offered for very long..

Two things i suggest:
1) go there and subscribe so more of you will know about these deals - they have occasional deals that really help get the low prices even lower

2) consider buying (when it too is on sale) the VIP membership(additional 10% discount ALWAYS) i have done this twice (it lasts for 12 months) & each time the savings i got along with free shipping for as many items as you want IIRC 3 times per month- so for me the VIP paid off with the first order done when an sale for everything they offer was on-going. For CONUS shipping even for those NOT VIPed is only 5$ per order no matter how many items or how heavy.

When you do order mention the forums- i have invited fred many times to join us as a company owner member- but He may just bee too busy to do that.

What will help all of us is if and when a GB for something from Fred's shed is attempted Fred may give us an even better deal as a group- --the more he hears about LPF the more he will value all of us. SShed is open to the public (in Pa) but just one day per week--

+4 to BB for being quicker--lol

Last edited:

Nice find B-B ~ rep sent!
Got two 27x27mm cubes for the project box...
To the UK it was $12.75 First Class International :beer:

thanks for the tip! ordered one, this will be my first beam splitter.

Re: UPDATE (photo): Large broadband polarized beam splitters $21 shipped @ Surplus Sh

Bump with update.

Re: UPDATE (photo): Large broadband polarized beam splitters $21 shipped @ Surplus Sh

take its that this is a great deal! Glad I got one considering another.

I bought one of these last weekend or the weekend before and used the 44% off on everything that was mentioned to me in their email, it is a good idea to get on their email list!

@hak I looked at that 15x15mm unit and If I'm remembering right, it was not using polarization, it was just a splitter

You see... this is what I miss when I get the flu, celebrate holidays away from LPF with family, change jobs, go on vacation with the wife, and find my way back here...

Sweet find and I'm sad panda for missing out.

Happy New Year!

-c

I was wondering what had happened to ya! Welcome back man! I have a few these cubes if you want one. They're really nice. The 22 mm ones are still amazingly big. Normally these are very pricy

Last edited:

Tmack

Does the website still have them at all. I think it said $35 ?

If so I wouldn't mind buying one at that price. Still great.

Last edited: