Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Underpowered bdr-209

I extracted my first bdr-209 diode and set it into the aixiz housing module. After testing it at 600ma, there is a dot, but here is no beam and it seems too underpowered. I cant tell if the connections are bad, the diode is not pressed properly, or if it is ruined. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Attachments

• 20160106_185623.jpg
    20160106_185623.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 117
  • 20160106_185708.jpg
    20160106_185708.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 115

You may have cooked it inside, or you may have a bad connection.
Also I don't think you have it pressed in all the way.
Also 405's are very static sensitive.

You should attach a pre tinned wire quickly with 63/37 rosin core solder, I was just talking about this somewhere else, lol ironic I know.

Capture_01062016_192253_zpsovfzzyz2.png

SANY0594_zpskgzojnn8.jpg

As you see by the chart 63/37 melts at a lower temp and solidifies almost instantly. You can set your iron around 350.

DTR sells these ready to use.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/bdr-209-405nm-16x-diodes

Last edited:
I don't think it will help at this point, but next time use a press tool, I have not pressed any of the 3.8's but 5.6's should countersink below the surface of the back of the module to get good heat transfer or they will burn up.

Also I'm not trying to be rude, but your solder connection is terrible, it could be part of your problem, but it's very possible that you have overheated it already.
Next time use the 63/37 solder and set your iron around 350, then with the wire ends pre tinned make a fast clean connection, the 63/37 solder will grab ahold as you remove the iron.

Last edited:
I don't think it will help at this point, but next time use a press tool, I have not pressed any of the 3.8's but 5.6's should countersink below the surface of the back of the module to get good heat transfer or they will burn up.

Also I'm not trying to be rude, but your solder connection is terrible, it could be part of your problem, but it's very possible that you have overheated it already.
Next time use the 63/37 solder and set your iron around 350, then with the wire ends pre tinned make a fast clean connection, the 63/37 solder will grab ahold as you remove the iron.

Thanks for the help. Next time il just buy the diode already in the module. Most of my small connections are bad because I use a soldering iron, not a soldering gun, and the solder usually hardens before I can apply it.

Hibro

Any chance that the diode is damaged during the de-soldering processing? like what RedCowboy said these thing is so fragile.

Any chance that the diode is damaged during the de-soldering processing? like what RedCowboy said these thing is so fragile.

I don't think the de-soldering damaged it. I used the solder blob method to heat the solder on the ribbon cable and quickly remove it. In the dark, the beam is visible but underpowered and there is no heat. I think it was damaged from esd and is not pressed properly.

For anyone viewing this, that is a perfect example of how not to solder. Thanks for sharing that with us thebouljello. No one can solder good to begin with, just watch a couple of videos on soldering on YouTube and then practice some, before you know it you can be good at it. It can also often make it easier to use a helping hands with a magnifier, and don't drink coffee or energy drinks before soldering, it helps to have steady hands like a surgeon.

Alan

Yes and you can also brace your hands against your work table, this helps a lot.

For anyone viewing this, that is a perfect example of how not to solder. Thanks for sharing that with us thebouljello. No one can solder good to begin with, just watch a couple of videos on soldering on YouTube and then practice some, before you know it you can be good at it. It can also often make it easier to use a helping hands with a magnifier, and don't drink coffee or energy drinks before soldering, it helps to have steady hands like a surgeon.

Alan

I might get a helping hands with magnifier. That would fix most of the problem.

{ Pi R Squared } For anyone viewing this, that is a perfect example of how not to solder. Thanks for sharing that with us thebouljello.

:can: :pop:
( When i need help i just ask my wife )

Last edited:
{ Pi R Squared } For anyone viewing this, that is a perfect example of how not to solder. Thanks for sharing that with us thebouljello.

:can: :pop:
( When i need help i just ask my wife )

Just to add, I used lead free 1.27mm (.05in) solder, which is good for thicker gauge wires but not diode pins.