Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultrafire 90mw or dx true 50mw?

Hey guys, I'm looking to buy my first green laser pointer :)

I'm looking for a laser that isn't too expensive, just something to start off with, maybe pop a few balloons here and there to show off :p Anyway, I've been looking around and have seen that a lot of people find the Ultrafire 90mw (to be a good deal. I also saw that the true might be a good deal.(Both of these lasers are from deal extreme, but the board wont let me post links, sorry :\) There are pros and cons to go with each laser. I like the 50mw because its in a more compact pen shape. Also, it seems that the button on the bottom of the Ultrafire would make it kind of awkward to aim. Lastly, I'm unsure of which type batteries to use with the Ultrafire (Regular, or Rechargable... and what kind of rechargable) So, being a newbie to these pointers, which one would you guys suggest that I get?

Thanks in advance [smiley=thumbup.gif]

From what I've heard the 90mW is pretty bad but i got a true 50mW and i love it. Pops balloons and etches leather and the beam is like a light saber outside at night. Be sure to get the TRUE green one and not the cheaper version. I've given mine heavy use and its still going strong! ;D Oh and it can cut black tape as long as there is a little weight or tension on it.

what im about to tell you is the exact oppisite of cbrian4's post.

i strongly dislike the true 50mW, i have one. the power cuts out, the light dims. u have to press it JUST right for it to get its full power. if u drop it once your screwed. the insides are cheaply made.

now the 90mw UltraFire is a very good laser. however people have reported they got theirs and it wasnt a real 90mW UltraFire, it was some fake one with a 30mW diode. they have another new shipment that i think are real 90mW's but who knows.

so i recomend the 90mW

Its a hit or miss either way. but i do know that the true 50 is pretty well ir filtered. At these prices its a gamble but to me i would trust the true 50 because my friend bought one opened it up to try to pot mod and was able to put it back together and it still works. And there are more reviews of the 50. Plus my friend's one is almost identical in output.

Thanks for the replies, but now I'm even more split on which one to get! Does anyone have both of these, or some other means of comparing the two?

Davem12 said:
Thanks for the replies, but now I'm even more split on which one to get! Does anyone have both of these, or some other means of comparing the two?
i have the 50mW true green. i dont like it. i should get the 90mW any day.
i say, u should get the 90mW, they just got a new shipment, i think it's a good shipment. when u recieve it hope it's good, and if not then send it back for a true 50mW and get the difference of your money back.

Just remember its always a gamble when buying from dx. Your much more likely to get a good 50mW than a good 90 plus look how much more reviews there are of the 50. 24 reviews versus 1.