Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ultrafire 18650 2400mAh 3.7 battery question

burner

So, i have a flashlight and a laser that both take this battery. I searched for a decent price and I found them for a good price and got a bunch of them with a charger.

My issue, i was sent a blue one (Ultrafire XSL 18650 2400mAh 3.7v) but i ordered silver ones (Ultrafire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7v)...charged them up and went to put them in the laser and flashlight BUT the silver ones are too thick to go safely in either device.

Is there anything i can do to fix my issue such as taking off the silver wrapping around the battery for the flashlight ?? These batteries are a MM or two too long for the laser as well.

Is using two CR123A's the same as using one of these batteries ?? Is it safe ??

Thanks in advance for the help. Im still new to this and i do appreciate helpful guidance for you guys.

~John

Last edited:

So, i have a flashlight and a laser that both take this battery. I searched for a decent price and I found them for a good price and got a bunch of them with a charger.

My issue, i was sent a blue one (Ultrafire XSL 18650 2400mAh 3.7v) but i ordered silver ones (Ultrafire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7v)...charged them up and went to put them in the laser and flashlight BUT the silver ones are too thick to go safely in either device.

Is there anything i can do to fix my issue such as taking off the silver wrapping around the battery for the flashlight ?? These batteries are a MM or two too long for the laser as well.

Is using two CR123A's the same as using one of these batteries ?? Is it safe ??

Thanks in advance for the help. Im still new to this and i do appreciate helpful guidance for you guys.

~John

If the laser and flashlight are meant for 3.6v or 3.7v, then using 2 cr123a's would NOT be safe. Two primary cr123a's would be 6v, and two rechargeable ones would be 7.2v-7.4v. I actually use the silver LC ones (most likely the same as yours) as my main 18650's. They are too long because there is a protection circuit built into them. They aren't any thicker than my unprotected 18650 though, so I don't see why they would be too thick? What do you mean to have them fit safely?

if you put in two batts kiss ur lazor gbye
is there a lable on the batt which you can peel off?
that worked for me once....g l

hak
ps do not remove the plastic outside not good!!!!

If the laser and flashlight are meant for 3.6v or 3.7v, then using 2 cr123a's would NOT be safe. Two primary cr123a's would be 6v, and two rechargeable ones would be 7.2v-7.4v. I actually use the silver LC ones (most likely the same as yours) as my main 18650's. They are too long because there is a protection circuit built into them. They aren't any thicker than my unprotected 18650 though, so I don't see why they would be too thick? What do you mean to have them fit safely?

I did not want to open a new thread because my question is somewhat similar to the OP's:

I have just received from O-like the Real 1W 445nm Blue Laser torch. It is powered by 2pcs of 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries.
LINK:
Real 1W 445nm blue Laser torch/waterproof/focusable [OL-1W-445] - $209.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

I understand that the voltage can not be more than 7.4V (2 x 3.7V). So if I would put into the laser an UltraFire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7V Li-ion battery instead of the 2pcs of 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries the intensity of the laser would not be as strong as with the recommended 2 pcs 16340. Is that right?

My other question is how important the voltage and mAh for a certain laser device when it comes to rechargeable batteries?

For example: O-like recommends for its Real 1W 445nm Blue Laser torch the type 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries.

Can I use as a substitute instead of the recommended batteries any of the followings:

1. CR123A 3V 650mAh Li-ion Batteries

2. Soshine CR123A Rechargeable 3.7V 700mAh Li-ion Battery

3. Ultrafire CR123A Rechargeable 3.6V 880mAh Protected Battery 16340

Does it matter if the mAh is more with 50-230mAh in the replacement battery than in the originally recommended?
(880mAh instead of 650mAh)

(I have not dealt with electronics/physics for ages.)

Thank you in advance for the answer! :angel:

I did not want to open a new thread because my question is somewhat similar to the OP's:

I have just received from O-like the Real 1W 445nm Blue Laser torch. It is powered by 2pcs of 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries.
LINK:
Real 1W 445nm blue Laser torch/waterproof/focusable [OL-1W-445] - $209.00 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

I understand that the voltage can not be more than 7.4V (2 x 3.7V). So if I would put into the laser an UltraFire LC 18650 2400mAh 3.7V Li-ion battery instead of the 2pcs of 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries the intensity of the laser would not be as strong as with the recommended 2 pcs 16340. Is that right?
1. fully charged Li-Ion x2 would be 2x4.2V=8.4V maximum.
2. For most things, it would make sense that a lower voltage would mean reduced functionality. In this case, however, the actual laser diode needs more voltage than the batteries can supply, hence the need for two batteries in series. Some drivers are able to boost the voltage, but seeing that this laser requires 2x16340 cells, this is probably not the case here. The laser will probably just refuse to work.
3. Most 16340 cells are around 550-600mAh capacity. Any change in that is either marketing fluff, misinformation, or lies. If it came with 16340s, use 'em. If it didn't, you can look for reviews for good brands of 16340 cells. Many people trust the AW brand, you might start there.

My other question is how important the voltage and mAh for a certain laser device when it comes to rechargeable batteries?

For example: O-like recommends for its Real 1W 445nm Blue Laser torch the type 3.7V 650mAh ICR16340 batteries.

Can I use as a substitute instead of the recommended batteries any of the followings:

1. CR123A 3V 650mAh Li-ion Batteries

2. Soshine CR123A Rechargeable 3.7V 700mAh Li-ion Battery

3. Ultrafire CR123A Rechargeable 3.6V 880mAh Protected Battery 16340

Does it matter if the mAh is more with 50-230mAh in the replacement battery than in the originally recommended?
(880mAh instead of 650mAh)

(I have not dealt with electronics/physics for ages.)

Thank you in advance for the answer! :angel:

You should be fine with any of those.
CR123A is the primary cell, you cannot recharge it. Don't buy these at walgreens or anything, as they are many many times cheaper online (even name brands are much cheaper online). Also, once the voltage of the two CR123s drop below the Vf of the laser diode, either the driver will direct-drive the diode (safe, since voltage of cells is low at that point), or just cut out. You may not get great runtimes as a result, and end up with partially discharged CR123 cells.

The other two are 16340 cells of differing chemistry. I'd stick with a 3.7V listed one, to be sure that it is compatible with normal Li-Ion chargers.
Another difference between those two is that one is protected and the other isn't. A protected cell is an unprotected cell with a circuit board stuck on the bottom to keep the cell from discharging past its lower threshold and discharging more current than it was designed for.
If you can afford to spend a few more bucks, take a look at AW's offerings for 16340. He usually quotes capacities that aren't far off from the truth.

Last edited:
@BShanahan14rulz

Thank you so much for your kind answer!
I got smarter!
I definitely go with the AW batteries!

What do you think about this charger?
UNIVERSAL RAPID CHARGER for CR2 or CR123 RECHARGEABLE LITHIUM BATTERIES
LINK:
CR2 CR123 LITHIUM BATTERY CHARGER

Could it safely charge this AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery?
LINK:
AW RCR123a Protected 750 mAh Battery

Can it safely charge rechargeable Li-Ion batteries with different Voltages, such as 3V, 3.6V or 3.7V?
Has anyone had any experience with this Soshine charge? Are they good?
This charger does not mention anything about Voltages. It mentions only that it can charge Li-ion CR2 and CR123 rechargeable batteries...

Thanks in advance for the answer!

@SteveIsNowHere, it should be fine to charge those. I don't know how it would charge the different voltages though... Soshine is usually a pretty good brand though. I would send a message to the company asking if it would charge both types.

@SteveIsNowHere, it should be fine to charge those. I don't know how it would charge the different voltages though... Soshine is usually a pretty good brand though. I would send a message to the company asking if it would charge both types.

Hi,

This is the message came back from the orbtronic:
Yes sir with SO-CR2-CR123 rapid charger you can charge li-ion rechargeable : CR2, CR123, 3.0V and 3.7V

We do have these batteries in stock, and if you want I can provide bundle discount for you/ with free shipping.

So it means that their charger will charge 3.0V and 3.7V, but not 3.6V.

It will charge the 3.6v batteries if it will charge the 3.7v ones.

Thanks for your feedback! :angel:
I was not sure about it!
I'm getting a little experience about chargers and batteries! :D

PS: I just placed an order for the charger. Next will be the AW RCR123A batteries...

Last edited: