Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ugly but useful little focus aid for AixiZ lens

After getting tired of wasting precious time and battery life trying to grip the AixiZ lens to focus it, I finally made this ugly little thing to provide a focusing handle.  Now I can point and focus with one hand.

I cut this out of the back of a DVD box with scissors and an Xacto (it shows).
It's soft plastic so I can snap it over the end of the AixiZ lens when I need it, then pop it off when I don't.
It's not nearly as classy as rog8811's, but for quick-and-dirty, it gets the job done.

Anybody else come up with novel ways of doing this?

Attachments

• AixizHandle001.jpg
    AixizHandle001.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 89

Re: Ugly but useful little focus aid for AixiZ len

There you go -- a simple removeable wrench. Set it, remove it and you're done.

Simple and nice.

Mike

Gazoo

I like it...."thumbs up"

S

SenKat

NICE ! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Things

very simple but effective! i like it! ;)

Benm

Good idea if you ask me - those focus rings can be a bit fiddely and you easily get your hand in the beam.

Skram0

I've wanted to try to glue a little piece of plastic into each groove letting just a little bit sticking out for grip. Haven't gotten around to butchering something plastic yet, but one of these days..

Hey that's a good idea!

If I get a bit of spare time, I think I'll draw out a simple desgin the same as yours in CAD, and then make a small batch on my CNC. Maybe even tonight?!?

If it's a sucssess I could mail them out to people as I think most people would want one. It's would literally cost pence (or cents! :D ) + postage. But that's thinking way ahead....

Should I make a press fit version or a removable 'key' type with a handle part?

Dan :)

I can't take credit for the idea, but others on the board here have used 1/2" inner dia. shaft collars with a hex-key set-screw to extend the focusing ring of their Aixiz modules.

Even better would be to spend a little time calibraiting and engraving witness marks into the bezel of your host flashlight, and on the ring or lever you're using on the focusing ring. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ok, true to my word, I made one!

To some it looks like a gloryfied number 6, but to me, it's a "Precision CNC custom milled Aixiz laser module lens adjustment wrench"!!!  :-?

It's made out of 3mm Acrylic Sheet (White) or Lexan/Plexiglass (a trade name) using a 2mm 3 flute slot drill.
I was hoping to make it out of aluminium, but that's all thin sheet I had lying around.

Sorry for the naff pics. I need a digi camera, my phone isn't just cutting it! (especially for macro's!)

I also made a small one (by error - I set the wrong tool path)

If anyone wants one, I'll pop one in the post for them. It's nothing too complex, only took me 30 mins, and 25 of which were setting up the CNC!  ;D

image302qk9.jpg

image301wc0.jpg

image300ju8.jpg

xgeek

Thats cool as hell. I would love one or even 2 for my 2 torches. I am in the UK so if you do make some more PM me and let me know how much they are.

Cheers
XG

Ok! (Don't build your hopes up - its nothing spectactular!) Just a curvy bit of plastic  :)

I like making things on the CAMM3, and I'm glad that I can help some people out, as loads of people have helped me with questions in the past.

I've not got much lexan left, but I'd say enough to make 12(ish) so it would be a 1st come first serve. I'll cut the rest out tomorrow and pop them in the post that evening or on Friday. If anyone want's an aluminium one, I'd be happy to order a sheet and cut some. However plastic cuts better/quicker, and I don't have any ally sheet <8mm in 'stock'. + it's less harsh on the fingers :-D

I can't charge you for a small bit of plastic, but I'd appricated it if you could cover the postage to your place.
PM me with your details/address if you're still interested.

I'm away from Sunday-Sunday (on holiday!) next week, so if anyone wants one - be quick!

Nice job Dan, I am sure there will be a number of orders for that! :)

Regards rog8811

mw1111

where exactly do you live? id love to buy one

OK everyone, I've set the CAMM3 going now, and it's churning them out as I speak (or type! :-/)

I've completly under estimated how many I could fit on the sheet left (due to the fact that I used the wrong measurements!)

But I've squeezed in 25 on the design, meaning that 25 *should* come out ok unless the bonding tape comes unstuck and the machine chews through a couple (it's only happend a few times so far on other designs!)

I've had a few requests for a couple each, so I've got about 12-14 left.
If there is anyones else that wants some PM me your quantity required and address.
I'll probably post them sometime tomorrow evening, maybe early Saturday.

Shipping to the UK is the price of a 'Large' 1st class stamp + price of a jiffy bag, so about £0.75 for ANY quantity.
Shipping to the USA is about £1.58 ($3.50 ish) Royal Mail Airmail 4-5 working days. However there's a huge backlog of post in the whole of the UK (60 million item I believe) so it might take an extra few days to arrive. As I don't do much posting to the US, does anyone know if I need to write any thing different on the package? Customs declarations???

My paypal email is: danielbriggs '@' btinternet 'dot' com
I'm not making a penny out of this, it's more of a gesture of good will :)

Time for some pics:

image304rv5.jpg

image306hr5.jpg

image308hy0.jpg

image305zi3.jpg