Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ughhh Stupid friend

Just Made a hole (or yellow mark) on the white part of his eye. He even has goggles, it reflected off a mirror. 100 mw did this much damage in a second. For anybody reading right now, SPEND MONEY ON THE GOGGLES.

I seriiously think this section needs a sticky, After all it is the most important sub topic in this forum

Gazoo

Just Made a hole (or yellow mark) on the white part of his eye. He even has goggles, it reflected off a mirror. 100 mw did this much damage in a second. For anybody reading right now, SPEND MONEY ON THE GOGGLES.

I seriiously think this section needs a sticky, After all it is the most important sub topic in this forum

Sorry to read about your friend but what exactly happened? Was he wearing the goggles when this happened and somehow the beam entered in and reflected, or was he fooling around. Did the beam penetrate the sclera(white part of the eye)? Do you know if he will be ok?

k1kb0t

Thanks for reminding us all that we need to be safe when playing with lasers over 5mW. Was he wearing the goggles and where did he buy them?

Jon

cust11

wrong wavelength goggles for the laser being used?

-Mike

After a hundred times of telling him and not listening, no it was no goggles. Ughhh so stupid

and the day before he was telling me I'm too paranoid lol

Asherz

Ah that sucks, he won't be doing that again lol... I wear my goggles for anything burning... but if it's just around my room I don't wear them, I'm careful of reflections but the whole enjoyment of playing with lasers is to see the beam and the colours, what good is it when I'm wearing goggles so I can see a small dot on the wall.. It's just no fun and pointless.

Still goggles are a must =]

I wonder who this friend is :whistle:

And for the record I was not the one handling the laser. It was Sheila.
Never let your guard done with beautiful women. Always be protected.. wear goggles at all times :D

And my vision is fine for the record. It just hit the white part of my eye

Last edited:

Benm

This sounds like a very odd incident. Unlike the cornea, the sclera is innervated, and due to that blood circulation has resonable heat-dissipating abilty. Also, the tissue is usually fairly white and should not absorb much light in de first place.

I seriously doubt the yellow discoloration would be caused by a hit with an unfocussed 100 mW laser, especially since you would expect red discoloration in case of any damage.

Are you absolutely positive this discoloration was not present before it ever happened?

I'm not quite sure from the first post - did he wear the goggles, or not?

Also, like Benm, I'm more than a bit sceptical. The danger for the eye is because

a) the retina is very heat-sensitive and delicate, and
b) the lens focuses the energy into a micrometer-sized spot, creating a huge energy density.

Neither of that plays a role when you hit "just" the eyeball, it shouldn't cause any more serious issues than hitting any other part of skin. The "white" of the eye often has some slight discolorations (mine has).

I was not wearing goggles. My vision is perfectly fine except for the fact that there is a yellow spot on the white part of my right eye

Benm

I think its fairly likely that the spot was there before the laser hit... sometimes you dont notice things like those when you don't have a reason to study it closely.

Also, a slighly discolored spot on the sclera is little cause for concern. When the entire sclera (mostly of both eyes) go yellowish, however, you should seek medical advice.

a) the retina is very heat-sensitive and delicate, and
b) the lens focuses the energy into a micrometer-sized spot, creating a huge energy density.

The problem is mostly B though. The retina is not exceptionally sensitive to temperature as it is innervated tissue with good bloodflow.

The clear parts (cornea, lens) of the eye -are- very senstive to heat as they are not cooled by circulation at all. Since they are transparant, visible lasers typically pose no risk there, but exposure to, for example, microwave energy does.