Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ubuntu 10.04 video issues

is anybody else having issues playing movies and video in avi format on the new version of ubuntu?
My videos playback choppy and the contrast seems waaaaay darker.
i know when i first switched to ubuntu about 2 years ago i didnt have to install a single driver, maybe this one requires a driver of some sort?

You can check if you need a video card driver under the System menu, under Administration, click Hardware Drivers.. You can also manually install drivers from the terminal, use "sudo apt-get install fglrx" for ATI cards, and "sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx" for nvidia cards.

If you use Totem for playback, you might also want to try installing different codecs.. Do "sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" if you haven't already. Personally though, I use VLC. I find it does a better job, and its codecs are built into the program itself.

Finally, if you're running compiz, with all its fancy window effects, you can try disabling it temporarily.. Hit alt+f2 to bring up a run dialog box, type "metacity --replace" to temporarily revert to a basic desktop without all the fancy effects.