Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Two Safety Questions

Droyd

1. I have red tinted goggles that block green really well. Can I also use them to block 405nm? I've tried it before and when burning the dot still looks bright so I want to be careful.

2. I want to use the 405nm laser to show fluorescense to some people. Is it safe if I leave the focusing lens on so it is out of focus? I want to look without using goggles.

The only way you will be sure is if you do some tests
with your Laser and a calibrated Laser Power Meter...
otherwise you are just guessing and could put yourself
and/or others is harms way....

Jerry

1. As Jerry said... without testing there is no way to tell. Therefore no they can't block 405nm.

2. Certainly there is less hazard when the laser isn't focused, but that doesn't mean that it's safe. Use a low power laser to show fluorescense.

Trevor

Regarding your first question, if the dot is painfully bright (or bright at all) then your glasses are not providing appreciable protection.

-Trevor

Drew

If it looks bright, it's probably safe to say you're eyes are in danger. Proper goggles for 445 and 405 usually filter 532 but I'm sure some dont. scopeguy20 has some decent, cheap goggles that would do the trick, he's a good guy to work with too