Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Two questions

1st, is there a term used to refer to the phenomen which can occur, when, for instace, a high power pulsed laser (beam) is focused to a tiny point several inches in front of the output, and the energy (friction?) causes instant ionization of the air components, manifested as a spark occuring at that pocal point?

Also, for some reason, although I typed my signature in different colors (for different wavelengths for the different lasers) in OpenOffice, the fonts pasted appear as white. How do I get the different colors to paste through?

Thanks.

ARG

1st, is there a term used to refer to the phenomen which can occur, when, for instace, a high power pulsed laser (beam) is focused to a tiny point several inches in front of the output, and the energy (friction?) causes instant ionization of the air components, manifested as a spark occuring at that pocal point?

Also, for some reason, although I typed my signature in different colors (for different wavelengths for the different lasers) in OpenOffice, the fonts pasted appear as white. How do I get the different colors to paste through?

Thanks.

For number one, I hace no idea but I too would like to know.

As for number two use tags like this
Code:
[*COLOR="#50FF00"][*/COLOR]
(Ignore the *'s)

Exept replace the number with the number for each wavelength using this tool:
Wavelength to RGB / HEX Calculator

Last edited:
It's not friction, although I'm told the effect is purely thermal. I don't know if it has a name - I just call it ionizing the air.

As far as I know, it's called "electric breakdown" of insulator, air.

All I could find ATM was this:
Electrical breakdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps it takes you to something related.

Essentially, once you pass a certain threshold for the amount of energy in given point in space, you strip the electronics out of their atoms, producing a spark mid-air.

Description is actually so technical it makes my head light, but you're free to google it yourself :p

IIRC- you must change the colors by using 'go advanced' then choosing from those there . Also there is a limit size-wise. Thus the reason some use a very small font.
You may have to leave out some of the details like case neg. etc and use more abbreviations. We also like to know what LPMs you have and your safety glasses.

If you add your location to your profile it will show up under your username,,, you may be living near other members and want to meet them in person. Everybody enjoys LEMs A super place to meet, show off your lasers, and learn form the seminars.

We dont hear from you very often. Post some pics for us the see,

Len

Last edited:

diachi

As far as I know, it's called "electric breakdown" of insulator, air.

All I could find ATM was this:
Electrical breakdown - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Perhaps it takes you to something related.

Essentially, once you pass a certain threshold for the amount of energy in given point in space, you strip the electronics out of their atoms, producing a spark mid-air.

Description is actually so technical it makes my head light, but you're free to google it yourself :p

Electrons, not electronics.

The electrons either get stripped off or jump up an energy level or two - when they attach again, or jump down to the ground state they release a photon. Same reason you get light from Ar Ion lasers or HV arcs ... Or for that matter fires.

Yeah my bad, LOL I can't believe I wrote "electronics". I wrote that word too many times, it kind of gets stuck while typing.

Thanks for the correction!