Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

two questions about NiMH batteries

ixfd64

I've heard that NiMH batteries are very useful because they provide a constantly high performance despite having a lower voltage rating. Therefore, I'm considering buying a few NiMH batteries to use with my laser.

However, I have two questions:

1. I have a standard battery charger. Can I use it to charge NiMH batteries, or do I need a specialized charger?

2. How do NiMH batteries compare to NiCad ones?

A charger designed only for NiCd batteries cannot charge NiMH batteries. However, most chargers you can buy today should be able to charge both types. The difference is in the charge control (switch off point). If your charger is an old timer controlled charger, do not use it for NiMH.

As for the global differences between NiCd and NiMH:
- NiMHs have more power and a longer lifespan then similar NiCds
- NiMHs do not suffer from 'memory effect' unlike NiCds
- NiMHs are less fit for outdoor use, because of operating temperature limitations
- NiHMs will discharge faster then NiCds when idle

You didn't ask that,but buy eneloops,recyko or any other LSD NiMH batteries.LSD means low self discharge,they only self discharge about 10% after 6 months and 15% after 1 year.Common NiMH discharge as much as 30% per month.Also LSD NiMH works better with high currents than the common ones,the only cons is their price and their capacity is a little bit lower(with AA,2000mAh max against 2600mAh that common NiMH can achieve today),but for me they still much better.

I wish I knew about the self discharge stuff before I bought a bunch of rechargable Energizers. I wondered why they didn't seem to last long and why they were about dead when I went to use them. It makes me want to throw them out now. :mad:

Dr. Evil said:
I wish I knew about the self discharge stuff before I bought a bunch of rechargable Energizers. I wondered why they didn't seem to last long and why they were about dead when I went to use them. It makes me want to throw them out now. :mad:
I bought my batteries at the time LSD didn't exist commercially,now I have 18 AA NiMH and 4 AAA :eek: .And it's not easy to sell this shit now :D.I ended buying eneloops(8 AA and 4 AAA)before selling these,they will probably sit somewhere,I don't plan using them again.

I have Panasonic 2100mAh (non-LSD) NiMHs -not used for lasers- and I noticed their idle discharge is ridiculous... i think ill have to get LSD ones or just wait at least until prices drop

jatic

GamerBR said:
I bought my batteries at the time LSD didn't exist commercially,now I have 18 AA NiMH and 4 AAA :eek: .And it's not easy to sell this shit now :D.I ended buying eneloops(8 AA and 4 AAA)before selling these,they will probably sit somewhere,I don't plan using them again.
I just wonder who would be stupid enough to buy used batteries from anyone for any price :eek: Impossible to tell what kind of punishment the batteries have taken ;)

jatic said:
[quote author=GamerBR link=1213513240/0#4 date=1213566816]I bought my batteries at the time LSD didn't exist commercially,now I have 18 AA NiMH and 4 AAA :eek: .And it's not easy to sell this shit now :D.I ended buying eneloops(8 AA and 4 AAA)before selling these,they will probably sit somewhere,I don't plan using them again.
I just wonder who would be stupid enough to buy used batteries from anyone for any price :eek: Impossible to tell what kind of punishment the batteries have taken ;)
[/quote]
I was able to sell 4 for a friend at least :)

GamerBR said:
You didn't ask that,but buy eneloops,recyko or any other LSD NiMH batteries.LSD means low self discharge,they only self discharge about 10% after 6 months and 15% after 1 year.Common NiMH discharge as much as 30% per month.Also LSD NiMH works better with high currents than the common ones,the only cons is their price and their capacity is a little bit lower(with AA,2000mAh max against 2600mAh that common NiMH can achieve today),but for me they still much better.

Good point.