Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Two Diodes

Hey all

I just ripped apart a Pioneer DVR11D 20x burner. Inside the unit i found 2 diodes, one like our standard red looking diode except it has no glass in the little circle and another diode which looks like half of a regular diode.

First off, i powered up the standard one and it was red so i know which it is(with my dmm of course) i then put power on the other one and saw nothing. Is it an infrared laser?

Also this is the first time ive come across a red with no glass on it. Do i have to do anything special to use it or just throw it in an aixiz module.

chido

Dude the red one is an open can diode, it's like the best diode out there, you should be happy as your laser is going to be really powerful. Just put it in an aixiz module with a heatsink and you should be fine. The other one is an infrared diode, I wouldn't mess with that one since you could easily blind yourself.
This is what an open can red laser diode looks like:

Attachments

• clip_image006_001.jpg
    clip_image006_001.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 117
SargeMX5 said:
Also this is the first time ive come across a red with no glass on it. Do i have to do anything special to use it or just throw it in an aixiz module.

It's basically like Chido said, BUT be careful, as there is no glass protecting it, you have to be a little cautious to not break one of the tiny wires going from the case/pins to the actual diode. They look like little gold hairs, and can break from not being careful, as in the spring in the aixiz module. But those can take quite a bit of current. My best burner yet was an open can from an LG 20x lightscribe running at ~320 mA. I didn't have a heat sink at the time though and cooked it. ANd yeah, leave teh IR one alone, put it in a little baggy in case you ever get some IR protection goggels and a nightcam. Oh the lessons I've learned....