Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial: How to Replace the Silicone Cap on 501b Host

EDIT: Figured out how to replace the silicone cap! Check Post #6 for the full tutorial with pictures!

Last edited:

Re: Replace Silicone Cap on 501b?

The retaining ring method is very common way to hold the switch in. You'll also notice as you keep collecting, that most switch boots are the same size! Lotsa fun color-coordinating switch boots :)

How to Replace the Silicone Cap on 501b Host

OK - Here goes the tutorial!

Step 1: Unscrew the laser tail-cap assembly from the laser. You'll see inside that there is a metal retaining ring with two small indentions on it inside the assembly.

IMG_3808.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

Step 2: Using something small and pointy (I'm using my sister's sewing scissors) put the pointy part in one of the indentions in the metal retaining ring. Then hold your pointy object in that indention and start twisting - the retaining ring will unscrew and come out.

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

Step 3: Now you see the actual switch. Mine is made of white plastic with a small raised portion in the center. I used the scissors again to grip around the raised part and twist it to unscrew it and get it to come out.

IMG_3817.jpg

IMG_3820.jpg

IMG_3821.jpg

Step 4: Once that's out, the existing silicone cap will just fall out!

IMG_3823.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

Step 5: Throw your new cap in there. I don't actually have a new one to use since I only have that blue one so I'm just gonna put it back :p

IMG_3826.jpg

IMG_3827.jpg

Step 6: Carefully thread the plastic switch back into the tailcap. DON'T GO TOO FAR! If you go too far it will cause the switch to get stuck when you press it. Test the switch every now and then until it feels normal and doesn't get stuck.

IMG_3828.jpg

IMG_3829.jpg

Step 7: Now carefully thread the retaining ring back it. When you get close to the plastic switch, be careful - don't push it further in. After you've just barely touched, do another maybe quarter-turn and you're good.

IMG_3831.jpg

IMG_3832.jpg

Step 8: Replace the tail cap assembly on your laser and have fun with your new silicone cap!

IMG_3833.jpg

:D