Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Tutorial for beginners?

Zom-B

An acquaintance saw my laser builds and wants to build a laser for himself (to be precise, something to be mounted in a large machine to harden UV-activated glue). He asked me for a link to a website explaining how I build mine. I said, mine is just one of many ways of doing it, and you'll probably want to do it different.

I tried to find a nicely general tutorial but I couldn't find any. Preferably it should not bias toward any laser diode, any driver, any host, or any source for parts. It should be clear enough so a complete laser n00b can find all the information he needs (including safety) to build something working.

Ideally it would be something like: these laser diodes exist and are recommended, they will have these recommended specs, you will need one of these collimating modules, you can use these drivers, they have these advantages/disadvantages, you can use them with these recommended hosts, or build your own. Then the building instructions and stuff.

The Protips with Spyderz at the top of the page is pretty close to what you ask for, in some ways. Is there anything particular about it you don't like? Your friend needs the violet of course, and that post does skim violet diodes pretty quickly, with just a mention of the PHR and a couple of links.

Zom-B

It dives into the matter really quickly and immediately uses laser tech jargon without explaining. The layout is also confusing. Definitely not suited for anyone who has never dealt with lasers.

Zom-B said:
It dives into the matter really quickly and immediately uses laser tech jargon without explaining. The layout is also confusing. Definitely not suited for anyone who has never dealt with lasers.
so why don't you make the tutorial? just take a bunch of pictures when you're building your next laser and put in subtitles. or make a video.