Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Turn On LEDs using a laser - questions, help needed

speo

I landed on this forum while doing some research for my new DIY project. This is my first project using a laser, so I apologize if my questions are obvious to you. I have good soldering skills, I can assemble kits, but do not understand how they work.

I will be more than happy with a detailed answer for my question #1, but if you have ideas for #2, #3 and #4 I would appreciate your input.

What I want to build is a sniper training target:
#1 - a kind of target that will turn on (for few seconds) an LED every time it gets hit by a laser beam.
#2 - if that is too easy, we can make it an array of LED's and the LED that gets hit will stay on for few seconds.
#3 - if that is still not challenging enough lets add a display that will keep a score until resetting (add 10 points for hitting the center LED, add 9 points for hitting the adjacent LED's...)
#4 - a LED that controls a servo arm to move from zero position to extreme position when hit by a laser beam.

Here are few links for some commercial products, more advanced, expensive and not as much fun, as they are not DIY :)

LaserLyte ? Trainer Target Laser

LaserLyte ? Trainer Target Plinking Cans

LaserLyte ? Trainer Target Reaction Tyme

LaserLyte ? Trainer Training Tyme Kit

Two more questions (for now). What is inside these commercial products and how do they work? What lasers will work for these commercial targets. If I buy a target like the one in the links above, will it work with a cheap $5 laser diode?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Re: Turn On LEDs using a laser - questions

You can use a photoelectric sensor to detect the laser, but they may not be large enough for your purposes.

cheese

speo

Re: Turn On LEDs using a laser - questions

You can use a photoelectric sensor to detect the laser, but they may not be large enough for your purposes.

cheese

How about an array of photovoltaic sensors? How should the sensors be connected? parallel?

I don't think photoelectric sensors can be wired together like that.

Perhaps instead use a small solar panel and a circuit that detects when the power from the solar panel goes really high. Only thing is you would have to find a way to calibrate it to not be set off by ambient light.